Unlimited Data and the FCC
Gadgetman198
Enthusiast - Level 3

I came across an official press communication from VZW in direct response to questions about the grandfathered unlimited data plan. The response was quoted, which I requote here: "The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM." The FCC mandate addressed states that the owner of the 4G data spectrum up for bid at the time, which VZW won, would be prohibited from forcing any consumers using that spectrum to change their data plan even if they changed devices.

How accurate is this information?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Data and the FCC
rcschnoor
Legend

Gadgetman198 wrote:

I came across an official press communication from VZW in direct response to questions about the grandfathered unlimited data plan. The response was quoted, which I requote here: "The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM." The FCC mandate addressed states that the owner of the 4G data spectrum up for bid at the time, which VZW won, would be prohibited from forcing any consumers using that spectrum to change their data plan even if they changed devices.

The information is inaccurate.

Different devices are eligible for different plans even though SIM cards are interchangeable between the devices.

For example, a tablet has one type of plan and a phone has another type of plan. A tablet has a $20/month line access fee on More Everything and a smartphone has a $40 line access fee. If you move a SIM card from a tablet into a phone, you will not keep the $20 line access fee for the tablet while the SIM card is in the phone. The line will move to a phone plan from a tablet plan.

While the SIM card may hold the detail of your data plan, it does not prevent the plan from changing if you move it to a device which requires a different type of plan. It also does not prevent the plan from changing if you sign a contract which also changes your plan.

Gadgetman198 wrote:

The FCC mandate addressed states that the owner of the 4G data spectrum up for bid at the time, which VZW won, would be prohibited from forcing any consumers using that spectrum to change their data plan even if they changed devices.

Changing between like devices(smartphone to smartphone) would not force you to change your data plan. Changing between differing devices(smartphone to tablet) which are eligible for differing data plans WOULD.

Additionally, your statement makes no mention of factors OUTSIDE of changing the SIM card, such as signing contracts, switching type of device, etc... and therefore would not apply to those situations.

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

To keep unlimited, you can buy a phone at full retail and move your SIM, if compatible, and keep the plan.  Or, get another SIM that fits from Verizon for free.  You only lose your plan if you change your plan or sign a new 2 year contract for upgraded subsidized phone discounts.

0 Likes
Gadgetman198
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate the response, but I don't see how it address my question at all about the accuracy of the information in the original post.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Gadgetman198 wrote:

The SIM is just a card that IDs you to the network.  It has nothing to do with the plan.  This only means that, whenever you use a device by activating it with a SIM (which is required to activate a 4G device on Verizon) that you will pay the service costs associated with that use.  Using a different phone and or SIM doesnt change your plan.  Hence, this is why when you change devices, you dont necessarily change plans.  This is why you can buy a phone at full cost from wherever as long as it works on VZW and put a SIM in it and it works, thereby preventing you from having to change plans.

What is your source of this information?

0 Likes
Gadgetman198
Enthusiast - Level 3

This post is about the accuracy of my information only. Possible uses of the information are for a possible later post. I purposely omitted the sites that I found so that the answer would be direct. I'm looking for a response that comes directly from an authorized VZW source, not from other places that could make the information considered hearsay.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, if you need something official from Verizon, feel free to give them a call or write a postal letter.  You can contact a member of Verizon Leadership and await their response.  This is a peer to peer forum and while some of us know the ins and outs of the FCC and legalities, the Verizon Reps here are mainly for technical and account assistance.  I understand that even though your basic question was answered, you need something more official.  You can find all of the contact information at the top of each Verizon webpage under Contact Us.  Good luck with your search.

Gadgetman198
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have seen many questions answered on here by official VZW reps. I have tried calling, but nobody I've talked to has been able to answer this question. Do you have any advice about how to reach someone who could answer this? The contact information at the top of the page hasn't helped me any.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It seems you are trying to corner someone into an answer and you have a specific situation trying to beat the system.  The general statement is true, but not in the case of any subsidized upgrades or payment plans. 

Gadgetman198
Enthusiast - Level 3

The analogy of "cornering" someone seems overbearing but accurate. I want a simple and direct true/false of something that has already been presented by a third party. I'm a huge fan of open and honest communication. For me, I'm more interested in accurate understanding, as I expect that virtually all openings that allow "beating the system" have already been addressed and closed.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Maybe I don't understand how you don't understand my answer.  But, until an "official" rep comes along, that's the best I can give you.  And, that may very well not be good enough, which if that is the case, you can contact leadership.  Here, I'll help you out.  Go corner one of these people:  Leadership | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes