Why can't I download updates using my Verizon hotspot?
johnny306
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can not download any updates on my laptop using my verizon jetpack hotspot. The hotspot works fine other then downloading the updates for windows 7. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem please?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I can't download updates using my verizon hotspot
johnny306
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed windows 10 yesterday from a wifi network in my supportive living facility. I did not have to use my jetpack and use my data to download the windows 10 update. I am getting the important updates for windows 10 okay. I have not changed any settings on my jetpack at this time and it seems to be working okay. I am going to save these instructions provided for the future use if needed. I do not expect to be able to download large size updates using my jetpack. Thanks for the help. It was very appreciated. I am going to consider this problem solved at this time.

Johnny

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the update start to download, and then stop?  Do you get any error messages?  Are they security updates (smaller in size generally) or major updates like a Service pack update?  They can get pretty large, and the Jet pack may not be the most efficient way to get the update(s).

0 Likes
johnny306
Enthusiast - Level 2

The updates that I am trying to download are small security updates for windows 7os. The updates will not start to download using my jetpack. I have not reached my limit of usage yet for my jetpack for this month.I do not get any type of error messages when I try to get the updates. Maybe my jetpack is limited on what it can do.?? Thanks for trying to help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

johnny306,

We want to see you up & able to get the downloads you need. What model jetpack are you using? Are you able to connect to the web normally, aside from these downloads? Are you able to download any other things to your computer?

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
johnny306
Enthusiast - Level 2

The model of jetpack I am using is mifi 5510L. I can connect to the web okay. The jetpack works fine for basic web use and surfing. I can download other programs from the web using the jetpack. I am using windows 7 operating system and I can’t download any windows updates. I can download windows updates on other wifi systems okay. I have a good signal on my jetpack when I am connected to the web. I like the portability of the jetpack for my needs at this time. Thanks for your interest in this problem.

John Welch

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try doing the following:

1: Open your web browser

2: Enter in the IP Address of http://192.168.1.1/

3: At the Verizon screen which appears, you should see a status page pertaining to your hotspot.

4: Enter the admin password to the web interface and log in. If you need to know this password, it is usually the same as the Wi-FI password. Or, it can be found by going to the Jetpack Menu, and selecting on the option to view your Wi-FI name and password. The web interface login information will appear just after the Wi-FI information is displayed, but before the main menu returns.

Once you're logged into the Jetpack, do the following:

Disable Content Optimization

Content Optimization sets up a web proxy within the Jetpack, which allows for the Jetpack to analyze web traffic and save data by working with the network to reduce the file size of certain types of data. For example, text files, PDF files, or images. This is done through compression and other optimization means. This can cause problems with some types of traffic.

1. Click on "Jetpack Settings" on the left side of the page
  2. Click on "Advanced" at the center
  3. Click on "Networks" under Advanced
  4. Uncheck "Content Delivery Optimization (CDO) and hit the Apply/Save button.

Confirm foreign / unknown DNS Servers are not used.

In some cases, I have seen malware log into equipment and change the DNS Servers to malicious servers, which block the ability of Windows Updates to contact Microsoft. This is unlikely on a Jetpack, which has a semi-random password attached to the Web Admin Interface, but it is possible malware or perhaps another person set this up.

1. Click on "Jetpack Settings" on the left side of the page
  2. Click on "Advanced" at the center
  3. Click on "Manual DNS"
  4. If the "DNS1 IP Address" and "DNS2 IP Address" boxes are not blank, delete their contents.
  5. If the "Use Manual DNS" box is checked, uncheck it. Hit the Save/Apply button when done.

Adjust IPv6 Settings

Windows 7 is an IPv6-enabled host. Many of Microsoft's Windows Update services also make use of IPV6. The Verizon Wireless network was designed when LTE was installed, to feature network-wide IPv6 connectivity. As this is a fairly new network, sometimes it can cause problems. The following settings should be adjusted.

IPV6 Transparent Mode

IPv6 Transparent Mode is a Firewall feature of the Jetpack. This allows the Jetpack to pass connections made to your computer's IP address through the firewall in the Jetpack. This can increase the risk of PC attack, however it also allows all IPv6 traffic to pass that otherwise may be getting blocked. Windows 7 includes a firewall which will stop any attacks, along with most Antivirus suites.

1. Click on "Jetpack Settings"
  2. Click on "Advanced"
  3. Click on "Firewall"
  4. If "IPV6 Transparent Mode" is turned off, turn it on. This allows all traffic to pass. If you're paranoid, or if this option is already turned on, try turning it off to see if there is a difference with Windows Updates

IPV6 in General

On the Internet, computers and devices use IP Addresses, which are similar to telephone numbers in a phone system. IP Addresses do not necessarily uniquely identify a person in most cases, but allow for computers to connect to other computers when accessed. Routers on the Internet use IP addresses to determine where to send traffic.

IPV6 is a new form of Internet addressing which is used to allow more devices to receive Internet-reachable addresses. Today, most devices use IPv4, an older form of addressing with less addresses available. Think of this like a telephone system - in the US, telephone numbers use 10 digits. These 10 digits create all of the possible combinations of addresses used on the Internet for reaching computers. Unfortunately, because there are more devices than IP addresses, many home routers will share an IP with many devices. This is similar to sharing a single phone with family members. IPv6 is like taking telephone numbers from 10 digits, to 30 digits, while adding the ability to dial with more than just numbers, but letters too.

As IPV6 is still maturing and being rolled out, sometimes this can cause connectivity problems with certain services with IPv6 enabled. In other cases, not having IPv6 enabled can cause misbehaving devices to not connect properly. Your Jetpack and Verizon Wireless utilize both IPv6 and IPv4 networks.

1. Click on "Jetpack Settings"
  2. "Click on "Advanced"
  3. Click on "LAN"
  4. Locate the checkbox for IPv6 labeled "Enable IPv6." If it is unchecked, please check this, as this is the recommended setting.
  5. If IPv6 is enabled, temporarily disable it by unchecking the box and clicking on Save.

====================

See if any of this helps you to check for Windows Updates. If something works, please report back what you changed and we can see if any further work needs to be done.

Be warned - if you do not have Windows 10 set up on your computer, and you have not blocked the update from installing, be prepared to either install Windows 10 or to get busy blocking that update. The installer is approximately 4GB BIG, and is known to repeatably download in the event of a problem. This will destroy your data plan.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

johnny306,

Those details are certainly helpful in painting a picture of what you are experiencing. I know that updates are super important to keep devices working the best. Given that all other functions on the mifi are working correctly, including other downloads and web browsing, the issue may lie in the updates themselves. I would recommend reaching out to Microsoft or your computer's manufacturer to see if there are requirements on their end that are blocking these updates from coming through on your device.
SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
johnny306
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed windows 10 yesterday from a wifi network in my supportive living facility. I did not have to use my jetpack and use my data to download the windows 10 update. I am getting the important updates for windows 10 okay. I have not changed any settings on my jetpack at this time and it seems to be working okay. I am going to save these instructions provided for the future use if needed. I do not expect to be able to download large size updates using my jetpack. Thanks for the help. It was very appreciated. I am going to consider this problem solved at this time.

Johnny

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fair enough. I hope you enjoy Windows 10, and glad to hear Win10 is able to receive updates. Definitely a weird one.

0 Likes