3rd Party email - outgoing POP3 configuration
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is just an FYI for anyone else that may be having a problem sending email from a 3rd party POP3 email account.  I was not able to find the information with numerous searches, so I thought I'd post it here after I got it figured out.

I just recently switched my internet access to FiOS, and several 3rd party email accounts that had been working just fine in Mozilla Thunderbird quit sending mail.  The receive still worked fine, but any attempt to send a message just timed out with a message that the server was inaccessible.  These accounts were set up using port 25 and no connection security for the SMTP servers.

It seems that FiOS is blocking access to the SMTP servers on port 25.  I was able to get the accounts working again by using port 465 for the accounts with SSL/TLS security and normal password authentication, and port 587 for the accounts with no connection security.  No other changes to my Thunderbird account setup were needed.

0 Likes
Re: 3rd Party email - outgoing POP3 configuration
tns
Master - Level 2

Almost all ISP block port 25 (smtp not POP, pop default is 110) when it isn't going to their servers.

Almost all 3rd party email will accept another port number for smtp type email, often 587 (non-ssl) and 465(ssl).

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Glad you fixed your problem, welcome to FiOS.

You searched and didn't find anything? Hmmmm......did you look in the Email topic are? I suspect not, there is a thread dedicated to the specific topic of Thunderbird definitions for Verizon email:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Mozilla-Thunderbird-SSL-Account-Definitions-for-veriz...

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I searched in the email areas first.  But the problem is, this has NOTHING to do with Verizon email, and that seems to be all that is covered.  It may be there, but I couldn't find it in the FAQs or other places that I checked.  I'll admit that I did not read several thousand threads in detail on miscilaneous subjects, but I previewed a wole lot of them looking for something that seemed to apply.  If I had known it was specifically an issue with port 25 before I started the research, it would have been easier to solve.

This issue is about how to set up SMTP outgoing access to a 3rd party email account while using FiOS internet access, NOT using Verizon.net email or any other Verizon email.  And that is why I originally posted this information in the internet forum. 

A thread about how to set up Thunderbird for Verizon email is of absolutely no value if I do not use Verizon email.

The simple fact is that I have been successfully using the old Thunderbird settings with port 25, on five different computers, -  including several laptops used for lots of traveling (therefore MANY different ISP connections in multiple countries) for quite a few years.  I was initially stymied when I found that the same computers that have always been able to send email on these accounts from any other internet connection could not do that from FiOS.  I was unable to find any information here about how to access NON-Verizon email accounts from FiOS internet connections, so I had to find it by outside research and trial/error testing.  I simply wanted to post the information so that maybe it would be shared with others that faced the same problem.

0 Likes
natasha2276

I just came back to Verizon yesterday and of course my outgoing isnt working and ive tried both the 587 and 465 ports. Short of throwing my computer out the window... does anyone have any suggestions? i am set up on MAC OUTLOOK.

I am using a 3rd party email for work and need to have this working. I KNOW it works... i had it set a few months back but stupidly went back to cablevision for about 2-3 months... hated it and came back to Verizon.

THe email is the only FRUSTRATING thing about Verizon. I need to get this fixed.

0 Likes
mginsburg4
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am not trying to hijack this thread, but it is the closest to my problem with Thunderbird set up and FIOS.
Have 2 email addresses set up in T-bird. Both receive mail fine, but sending is a problem. I think I don't know how to set the outgoing server settings properly for two user names. If I put mine in for example, I can send mail, but my wife can not. If I change user name to hers in outgoing server settings, she can send, but I can't.
I know I'm missing something probably very basic, but I'm so frustrated I can't see the forest from the trees. After several hours of useless chat with 2 different techs and inability to talk to a human, I'm very frustrated. (rant over)
Thanks in advance for any help or advice......
0 Likes
mginsburg4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks like I can not edit my last post..... wanted to update and indicate a "solve" for the two addys. I needed to set my SMTP outgoing server settings correctly and all was then well. Had to set each email up with their own outgoing settings. Not sure if that makes sense and if someone needs clarification or more info, I'll try to elaborate or PM me..

0 Likes