All my email to optimum users is being blocked by spam filter
angleco

In effect, any FIOS internet user who uses a mail client other than webmail can no longer send email to Optimum users from an IP addressed owned by Verizon. (see below for explanation)

I am the pastor of a small church and I have FIOS internet at my home.  Our website and email are hosted by startlogic.com.  I use MS Outlook client on my desktop.  Whenever I send an email via outlook over my Verizon FIOS internet connection to an optimum.net or optonline.net user, it gets bounced as spam indicating that it is a permanent error.  Over 60 of my parishioners are optimum users and can no longer receive emails from their pastor.  When I checked with optimum as to why, they told me they outsource their spam filtering to 2 organizations including SPAMHAUS.ORG.  When I checked with SPAMHAUS.ORG, I found that the IP address I have been given by verizon is on their policy block list (PBL) with the following explanation:

Ref: PBL1648835
108.6.8.0/22 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of Verizon Online for this IP range:
It is the policy of Verizon Online that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Verizon Online customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Verizon Online Technical Support.

THis means that if an they receive an email from a verizon owned IP address that does not come from a verizon mail server, they flag it as spam.  Unfortunately, as of January 17th, 2017, verizon no longer provides email support to its customers.  They expect the customer to either use web based mail (e.g. GMAIL) or their own mail servers (which is what I do for the church).  When I checked with Verizon, they said there was nothing they could do about optimum's spam filtering policies and I was unable to explain that it was in fact their policy with SPAMHAUS.ORG that was the problem.  I have now checked with other FIOS Internet users on my block and they all experience the same problem. In effect, any FIOS internet user who uses a mail client other than webmail can no longer send email to optimum users from an IP addressed owned by Verizon.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Corby

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: All my email to optimum users is being blocked by spam filter
MaybeUseful
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just having the same issue from my samsung phone.  Seems that lots of email clients automatically set up the server settings using smtp.aol.com.  You have to manually set it to smtp.verizon.net.  Same security/port settings.

View solution in original post

MaybeUseful
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was just having the same issue from my samsung phone.  Seems that lots of email clients automatically set up the server settings using smtp.aol.com.  You have to manually set it to smtp.verizon.net.  Same security/port settings.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes