Any way to block a country
JohnM720
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been getting tons of SPAM e-mails all originating from India.  The SPAM filter is not picking them up as SPAM and the problem is the sender and domain part keep changing.  The only thing consistent is the .in part of the e-mail.  I set up the filter to block using *@*.in & <*@*.in> but the emails keep coming through so I am not sure using the wildcard (*) works for this.  Does anyone know how I can block the entire .in (India) since I do not get any legitimate e-mails from there.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any way to block a country
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I belive you can say .in as the filter, but will get some false positives.

Some other email clients allow blocking by "country"

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I belive you can say .in as the filter, but will get some false positives.

Some other email clients allow blocking by "country"

bruteforce1
Enthusiast - Level 3

john

just use .in for a filter,tns how can you get a false positive when none of your contacts have .in for the ext.and yes in windows mail and in windows live mail you can block international domains.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

All sorts of possible matches that MAYBE you want.  E.g. .info sites (although many of those are also spam) or tour.indiana.... YourGovermnent@my.in.gov or john.ingram@someisp.net

@bruteforce wrote:

john

just use .in for a filter,tns how can you get a false positive when none of your contacts have .in for the ext.and yes in windows mail and in windows live mail you can block international domains.

0 Likes
JohnM720
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry for the delayed reply but wanted to be see if the solution was working before I responded.  Filtering .in seems to be working and so far I have not found any false positives.  I still do not understand why it does not work using the wildcard characater but it is what it is.   I am sending these diresctly to the SPAM folder so I can monitor for any false positives but so far so good.  If no false postives appear I will change the filter to automatically delete these emails.  Thanks for the help.

John

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you decide to automatically delete it just remember that any .in will match so if you make friends with say John.Ingram you will never seem to hear from him.Smiley Wink

0 Likes