Apparently thoughtless changes to SMTP configuration
FWEhr
Contributor - Level 1

Using Aquamail on Android device; suddently could not send from that device. Aquamail reports "authentication error 500 5.7.0 Unknown AUTH error -1 (Internal authentication error)"

Thanks to diligence by Kostya Vasilyev at Aquamail, problem solved: http://www.aqua-mail.com/?p=1716. No thanks to Verizon. Their page on email settings is frustratingly incomplete when the mail client has deep capability on authenticatiopn and encryption.

A little more forethought, Verizon, and maybe consideration of the trouble you can inflict on customers.

Re: Apparently thoughtless changes to SMTP configuration
ridgelift
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I don't know why Verizon suddenly started advertising support for CRAM-MD5 in their SMTP protocol.  It completely broke my MDaemon program, which doesn't currently have the ability to disable that protocol.  Thanks a lot Verizon.

0 Likes
morris4413

Has anyone reported this to Verizon as an error on THEIR part or are all of us who don't have the capabiltiy to disable the new SMTP protocol out-of-luck?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its been reported.  I would guess some of the servers had an upgrade that was bad.  Unfortunately they have not givena general response about fixing it.  Most people have been getting around it just be configuring their cliens to use plain text for password, ignoring the CRAM-md5 advertisement.

0 Likes