Apple Email Setup for December 2011 New Email Settings For DSL ONLY!!!
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just received an email to reset Incoming and Outgoing Ports. DSL Only..understand FIOS is different.

In Apple's email it doesnot list Incoming or Outgoing just 1 port number. That being 110.

Can any Apple laptop user help me get this correct?

Dan

0 Likes
Re: Apple Email Setup for December 2011 New Email Settings
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just spent an hour on the phone with VZ DSL Tech Support and Apple TS about changing the port numbers.

Verizon had NO CLUE how to change Apple mail and told me that it was an Apple problem.

I then called VZ Tech Support and spent 55 minutes with them and they cannot tell me how to fix the problem of not sending or receiving mail using the new 465/995 port numbers.

Anyone have a MacBook Pro with Apple email using new assignments have a fix?

Dan

0 Likes
Re: Apple Email Setup for December 2011 New Email Settings
BostonGal
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have NO FIX and came to this forum in search of solutions, because the email sent out to customers from Verizon is absolutely unacceptable.

It has only HALF the information needed to make these changes on a MAC!

Come on FIOS, get with it, and give your customers what we need in order toavoid an interruption in service ! In my world, heads would roll for a lot less than this lame attempt at communicating with PAYING customers.

THIS is just aother reason to move away from verizon.net email addresses in the future !

0 Likes
Re: Apple Email Setup for December 2011 New Email Settings-DSL ONLY!
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2

This thread is for DSL account only. VZ Tech Support has no answer blames Apple. Called Apple and they said problem is Verizon. The port presently assigned works fine. The new ports do NOT!

Verizon list a wonderful workflow for Outlook Express and list Apple Email but provides no workflow to do thjis nor does Tech Support know how to fix...at least to the 2 Techs I worked with for 90 minutes.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

You should have no trouble adding a new smtp port, and deleting the old port.  Note I don't think a change is supported.

0 Likes
billycar69
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is how I have done it (from http://verizon.com/emailsettings)

You'll need the following email settings:

• Incoming mail server (POP3)incoming.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP)outgoing.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

In my Mac (a Quicksilver 2002 Dual 1GHz) under Leopard OS X 10.5.8 ...

Mail.app > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced

Choose "Use SSL" ... that changes the Port to 995

I did that for each of my current e-mail Accounts.

Also ...

Mail.app > Accounts > Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) > Edit Server List ...

For each Server Named:

Choose "Use custom port"  ...  and enter 465

AND

Choose "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)"

For for the record, "POP3" does not show up as an Incoming Server, only "POP" for my Accounts.

I believe this is what Verizon is asking for ...

AND

If this is correct (its working for me), please send $1 (or more...) to my PayPal Account at moonstoneartstudio@verizon.net ... THANK YOU

0 Likes
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2
Spoiler

Obviously you didn't read the reason for this post. If I was not having problems I would not have started this thread. Changed supported by Apple or Verizon??

It is by Verizon because it works on all my Windows based OE mail.

0 Likes
Dixiegentleman
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have input the new settings into my email accounts on my iPad (IOS 5), but they do not work for incoming mail.  They seem to work fine for outgoing mail, but incoming produces an error message.  Has anyone been successful with these new settings on an iPad?

0 Likes
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2

"dixiegentleman",Please start your own thread so as not to confuse what I am trying to accomplish! It is just good thread etiquitte.

0 Likes
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2

"billycar69"...Thanks! I will try this on my 2011 MacBookPro, SnowLeopard

0 Likes