Boston Area, 30Jun15, Verizon email is Down
FWEhr
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, I changed my POP & SMTP settings as directed by Verizon. Did this weeks ago.

This morning, any outgoing mail from Thunderbird on Win7, times out. Ditto trying to download incoming mail from pop.verizon.net.

Pings to both addresses time out.

Yes, yes I have internet connectivity. Pings to verizon.net succeed as do any random URL in my browser

H E L L O Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Boston Area, 30Jun15, Verizon email is Down
FWEhr
Contributor - Level 1

status update

- Appears that servers were not down; could send/receive from Android tablet via same Fios router. After > 1 hour waste of time with an agent via chat, he referred me to "expert care" (really?), after which my Win7 desktop froze. Thank you Microsoft. Upon reboot, email client was able to send & receive.

- Call center rep alleged that aliases were no longer allowed in POP/SMTP configuration, and alleged that Vzn customers had been notified. I believe that's 100% wrong, but he wasted time changing a half-dozen Thunderbird account settings and then almost putting them back where they had been.

- Neither pop.verizon.net nor smtp.verizon.net respond to pings from Win7 or Android, but my email client's connection to them works. Perhaps Verizon has configured these addresses to ignore ping requests. Verizon certainly fooled me and also fooled its rep at some call center somewhere, as he repeatedly tried pinging them.

So the source of the problem is unknown, and I need to remember that the next time I think Verizon email is down there's a chance restarting Windoze will do the trick. I had a lovely morning Smiley Mad

0 Likes