Can't send e-mail w/new POP settings...
Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, all,

I updated my POP & SMTP settings as demanded by Verizon and I now can't send e-mail from one of my subaccounts. I get the error message:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  5.7.1 Authentication is required to send mail as <r******i@verizon.net>.  Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.

I don't use that e-mail address, which I guess is the "technical" address I got when I signed up. The address I'm trying to use is s******9@verizon.net, and that's the e-mail address that is set up in the account on my e-mail program (Thunderbird). I never use the address the error message is referencing.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this most annoying problem?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Can't send e-mail w/new POP settings...
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Without seeing your settings, it's going to be somewhat difficult to guess the problem. I would take another look at your SMTP (outgoing) settings, and verify that the server is set to authenticate with the correct username and password.

Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't find the incorrect e-mail anywhere in my settings.

I have for this sub-account:

E-mail: s******9@verizon.net

Server: pop.verizon.net

SMTP: smtp.verizon.net

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

I have no idea where it's picking up that other e-mail address.

0 Likes
Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh, I forgot to mention that I receive e-mail on that account without any problem.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Boltsfan2029 wrote:

I can't find the incorrect e-mail anywhere in my settings.

I have for this sub-account:

E-mail: s******9@verizon.net

Server: pop.verizon.net

SMTP: smtp.verizon.net

Connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal password

I have no idea where it's picking up that other e-mail address.

Have you gone specifically into the setting for your SMTP server and verified that it is set to authenticate? Many email programs have an extra button you have to push to change those settings. What email program are you using? That might help in directing you to the proper settings.

0 Likes
Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've looked everywhere I can think of. Since I've never once used that "original" e-mail address, I can't figure out how or where it's picking it up.

I'm using Thunderbird (I did mention that in my original post).   Smiley Wink  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I do apologize for missing that; you did say you are using Thinderbird. Go to the SMTP settings for the sub account, and verify that your settings match what is shown below. (With the exception that instead of "username" your actual username is present.)

Keep in mind that we're looking at ALL of the settings, not just for the resxxxx id. It is possible that this ID is listed in the error because of the way the record is kept on Verizon's end. First we resolve the not sending error, then we make sure it's sending with the right name. 😉

0 Likes
Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your attempts to help.

Unfortunately, the graphic you attached for me to compare to my settings only showed up as a triangle in a box.

Smiley Sad

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

It has to be approved by the admins before it will show up. Give it a few minutes.

0 Likes
Boltsfan2029
Enthusiast - Level 2

Everything is the same except the username is bol********9, which is what I call my main e-mail address.

I just got clever and created a "new" SMTP server, put in the e-mail address I want to use, changed the account setting for that e-mail address to the "new" server and... VOILÀ !!  It worked!

Thanks for the help, you got me to the point where I was able to figure out what to do!

-Sharon

0 Likes