E-mail settings (Eudora 6.2)
Babaluga

Any idea how to implement port settings preferred by Verzon (incoming 995, outgoing 465) when using Qualcomm's Eudora 6.2?  That being my e-mail client of preference.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: E-mail settings (Eudora 6.2)
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

Take a read through the thread "Eudora & server changes" in which I outlined the settings I use in Eudora 7--should be close to if not the same settings for 6.2.

Note that there is a typo in the first post (I cannot edit the post to make the corrections) where I typed "smpt" rather than "smtp" and also check post #8 as there are a some settings in that post that I didn't put in my first post--the forum is weird about editing your own posts. Basically read through the entire thread...'-}}

Hope that helps...

0 Likes
debddigger

After using Eudora with Verizon for years, I had a problem about a year ago. I received some help setting up the correct ports for using Eudora 6.2 on a Mac. Everything worked well. Then on Sept 29 I started getting authentication failure messages when I replied to messages. For a while, I could open a new message and paste all the information from the original into it, and then was able to send. Then the problem got worse and I could successfully send only 1 in 5 messages. I called tech support and was told that Verizon no longer supports Eudora. I switched to another email program, but really prefer Eudora. Is there any chance I'll be able to use it again?

0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3

Note: it is Mozilla's understanding that Qualcomm is no longer developing Eudora OSE. Furthermore, the last released version is based on an old version of Thunderbird which is no longer supported, and has known security issues. Current or potential users of Eudora OSE might like to try Thunderbird as an alternative email program, although of course the user interface and features of the two programs are not the same.

http://email.about.com/od/windowsemailclients/tp/free_email_prog.htm

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

debddigger...

There are a number of Eudora users who are experiencing the same problem (see links to threads below). Most of us are using Eudora 7.1 so I'm not sure if the following steps will work in 6.2 and I don't know if you tried the following when you get the authentication error but just in case:

1. When you get the authentication error, open Eudora's OUT box and highlight the problematic email

2. Double click on the email and it will open the email as though you were in the midst of writing it and you will see the "Send" button

3. Click on "Send" again (cross your fingers, sacrifice a chicken salad sandwich to the four corners of your computer room to appease the computer gods...'-}})

4. I've found the most of the time, when I click on Send that second time, my email is successfully sent--sometimes I have to repeat Steps 2-3 (chicken salad sandwich optional...'-}}) a second time but not often

Here are the links to the other threads here discussing the issue--in thread #2, I outlined some Eudora settings to check:

1. "problems sending email - what authentication is needed??"

2. "pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net not working"

3. "send e-mail, intermittent authenication error"

Hope that helps...

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>kaytabor30: it is Mozilla's understanding that Qualcomm is no longer developing Eudora OSE.

My guess is that you think your posts in this thread and in the "problems sending email - what authentication is needed??" thread are helpful but...really...they are not.

Anyone using Eudora more than likely has a fair amount of experience with email software and is perfectly aware that Eudora is old and user "debddigger" stated that she's using another email program but would like to continue using Eudora so telling her that Eudora is old and providing a link to an about.com page for Windows-based email software (user "debddigger" is a mac user) is not all that pertinent to the query...

0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3

tls it is'nt help if you want to run nonsupported software.

good luck 🙂

0 Likes
debddigger

Those of us who continue to use "outdated" software usually have a reason. Mine is that I find that the newer software contains features that don't interest me, whereas features that I use constantly in Eudora and which require only a key stroke, now require a mouse or possibly a workaround or aren't available at all.

Cases in point about what's not available:

- Eudora's OUT box combines Drafts, Sent and Queued. One place to check where you are regarding your replies. Efficient. That's how it should be.

- Eudora has a WHO column that combines To and From in all user-defined mailboxes. Perfect for reviewing correspondence with individual members of an organization for which the mailbox was defined.

- At least 4 other practical features that I won't go into...

I always wondered why people had so much trouble keeping track of their correspondence with me until I started looking for alternatives to Eudora last year. Now I know.

** To keep this on topic -- The intent of my original post was to verify that Verizon no longer reliably supports Eudora for Mac no matter how settings are configured. Because my settings are already configured as suggested, and because I haven't read of any disguises to make Verizon think I'm using other email software, I made the switch to Mail. I will explore other software to see if any have adopted Eudora's virtues, but I'm not optimistic. That's the way it is.

0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3
Contributor
debddigger
Re: E-mail settings (Eudora 6.2)[ New ]

Those of us who continue to use "outdated" software usually have a reason. Mine is that I find that the newer software contains features that don't interest me, whereas features that I use constantly in Eudora and which require only a key stroke, now require a mouse or possibly a workaround or aren't available at all.

Cases in point about what's not available:

- Eudora's OUT box combines Drafts, Sent and Queued. One place to check where you are regarding your replies. Efficient. That's how it should be.

- Eudora has a WHO column that combines To and From in all user-defined mailboxes. Perfect for reviewing correspondence with individual members of an organization for which the mailbox was defined.

- At least 4 other practical features that I won't go into...

I always wondered why people had so much trouble keeping track of their correspondence with me until I started looking for alternatives to Eudora last year. Now I know.

** To keep this on topic -- The intent of my original post was to verify that Verizon no longer reliably supports Eudora for Mac no matter how settings are configured. Because my settings are already configured as suggested, and because I haven't read of any disguises to make Verizon think I'm using other email software, I made the switch to Mail. I will explore other software to see if any have adopted Eudora's virtues, but I'm not optimistic. That's the way it is.

Well deb looks like you got 2 choices.run eudora with outdated software and have problems 24-7 or run mozzilla thunderbird (is open source) and have a updated email client. verizon does not have a clue what the word (support)

means.

0 Likes
debddigger

With such a beautiful icon, how can I resist? I have downloaded the latest Thunderbird and will explore its advantages. In the meantime, Mail will have to suffice. 

0 Likes