Emails from my verizon account being marked as spam
Chris_C1

Since switching over from Comcast, I've had chronic problems with my emails not being received. I had recipients' IT check into it and they reported they're being marked as spam because the sender address (@verizon.net) doesn't match the server Verizon is using (@mailsrvcs.net) which is a common "spoofing" tactic used by spammers.

Is there any way to go through a @verizon.net mail server? This is pretty critical! I prefer FIOS but I'm going to have to switch to another provider and quickly because email is crucial to my work!

0 Likes
Re: Emails from my verizon account being marked as spam
aliasneo1
Enthusiast - Level 3

This happens due to the

Verizon Anti Spam tool

let me explain you how this tool works

Scanning is an automated filtering process that compares the digital signatures of inbound and outbound email messages against the digital signatures of known spam messages. When a match is found, our filters block the message from being delivered to the intended recipient(s). Other than an automated scan against the spam signatures, the scanning process does not involve reading or accessing the content of any inbound or outbound email messages.

Some troubleshooting steps you can try:

If you have a signature, try removing one line at a time from it and attempting to send the message again. Some signatures look like "ads" to the filters, apparently.

If you are using a pop3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) try sending your message from the verizon.net website. If this resolves the issue, then it is something that your client is adding to the message that is causing it to be blocked.

If the Subject line of your message has a whole bunch of "Fwd: Fwd: Re: Fwd:" try removing some of them.

Remove any links/URLs from the email one at a time to isolate if one of them is causing the block.

If you believe Verizon erred in identifying one of your outgoing emails as spam, you can send the original message to the spam detector team at spamdetector.update@verizon.net. (Please be sure that the above email address is the sole recipient. Do not add other recipients in the "To", "CC" or "BCC" fields, or we will not receive your message. Do not alter the original message by adding or removing comments, text, or attachments.) Within 24 hours of receiving your report, the team will reevaluate the digital signature and, if the message is believed to be legitimate, adjust our spam filters as appropriate. Please note that Verizon won’t notify you about the outcome of the review. Rather, you should try resending the message 24 hrs after submitting your report to Verizon Spam Detector team.

You can review our Spam FAQ
at http://www.verizon.net/vonads/spamfaq/default.asp

0 Likes
Chris_C1

No, it's not being filtered by Verizon. The recipients are getting the mail, but THEY are marking it as spam because the return address (@verizon.net) doesn't match the mail sender domain shown in the header (@mailsrvcs.net). Mail recipients see it as a spoofed address, which is a common rule used to mark spam.

Is there another outgoing server I can use that shows up as @verizon.net in the header?

0 Likes
Chris_C1

Here's a sample header when sending from my verizon account. The two circled areas are the problem. Recipients see that I used a server at mailsrvcs.net to send it, but the return path and return address is to a different domain. Yes, Verizon owns both domains, but recipient spam filters don't know that. They think I'm spoofing my return address.

0 Likes