Entourage 2008 os x 10.8.5 "...correct root certificate is not installed" error when opening client
kmm_dmm

Starting this week, I have developed a "root certificate" issue with my email client "Entourage 2008" on OS X 10.8.5

From what I have read, this is an error on Verizon's server that I am accessing to retrieve email.  Is this correct?  Is there anything I need to do on my end?  I do not believe so...

Can someone at Verizon respond with a time frame from updating their certificates?

TIA!

0 Likes
Re: Entourage 2008 os x 10.8.5 "...correct root certificate is not installed" error when o
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope.  If it really a root certificate you need to correct it.  Not sure you do that on apple OS/devices.  10.8.5 appears to have included fairly recent root certificates, but perhaps someone knows if they have a newer root certificate update.  You can always pull the missing root certificate and install it.

0 Likes
Re: Entourage 2008 os x 10.8.5 "...correct root certificate is not installed" error when o
kmm_dmm

Thanks for responding TNS_2 - how do I go about finding out if I have a root certificate issue?  I did a combo update because that would catch everything that I missed or became broken...Error still occurs.  I also reinstalled Entourage. 

The error message is not clear if it is on the client of server side.  I am still leaning towards the server because of other posts I have read in this forum and elsewhere, surprised I did not see my exact error anywhere though...

Actually I know a good test.  Disable the Verizon account and create a new Entourage email account pointing to a secondary yahoo email address.  Whatever happens should tell me if it is client of server...I will report back.

If it is client side then I hope I can figure out the exact cause to any certificate issues.

0 Likes
kmm_dmm

Error also occurs with my yahoo email account.  I do not have the error when using "Mail.app" instead of "Microsoft Entourage.app" with either yahoo or verizon email accounts.  This leads me to believe the issue is a Microsoft Entourage root certificate, but I do not know for sure.   I'd sincerely appreciate some insight/suggestions...

Does anyone know the exact name of the root certificate that Entourage is referring to?  

Where I can get a new one? 

Is this somehow related to SSL?

Things I have done:
10.8.5 os x combo update
Reinstalled Entourage
Deleted/recreated my email account thinking the keychain would be rebuilt
Turn off OpenDNS and reverted back to Verizon's.

The most recent system change was updating CCleaner to 1.07.236 before the popup started to appear.

I might just upgrade Office to 2012 as a sure fix, but that is an unnecessary solution in my opinion.

Thanks!

0 Likes
rylan1

Did you find a fix for this? Mine has started doing the same thing out of the blue.

0 Likes
kmm_dmm

No!  It stinks that I could not because I am very self sufficient - I have a degree in Computer Science.  I upgraded to Outlook '11, which is such a more robust email client than Entourage.  I got an email from Verizon asking if any solutions posted in this thread were helpful and if they could close the thread.  I suggested maybe they should have read the thread and they would have noticed ALL, but one post was from me.  I wasted a lot of time reading and trying solutions that seem close to the issue, but in the end save yourself some time and just upgrade, use Verizon's online site: webmail.verizon.net or another client.  Entourage is not supported anymore, so no one from Microsoft will be searching for a solution and competent/knowledgeable Verizon support is few and far between... Good luck!

Out of curiosity, which version of OS X are you running?  

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try installing the root certificate and any intermediate's in its path.   No longer familiar with how that is done on your platform.

0 Likes