Eudora 7.1
JGH3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using Eudora 7.1 and windows 8.1 on two computers. On august first both computers stopped sending mail on Eudora.

error   smtp server said   550 5.7.1 Authentication required

What must I do to send messages from Eudora.

FIOS Tech support was no help;

0 Likes
Re: Eudora 7.1
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

JGH...

If you would browse the list of topics in the forum, you'd see that there are a number of threads discussing this issue and most of the threads have the solution--it's just a matter of reading...'-}}

Basically...

Find the eudora.ini file (should be in the folder where Eudora is installed)--some have a deudora.ini file--and using something like Notepad, edit the eudora.ini file adding the following line in the [Settings] section:

SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5

See the thread "Problems sending email..."

JGH3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank You, I did find a solution that worked.

0 Likes
SLNC

I am having the same problem as of 8/6/2014 also..

JGH please post what you did to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance SLNC

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SLNC wrote:

I am having the same problem as of 8/6/2014 also..

JGH please post what you did to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance SLNC

See TLB post on what to add.  Note this is a bypass, in that  it ignores CRAM-MD5 which verizon is mistakenly adveritsing (in the response to the EHLO at connection time) as a supported method.  We are still pressing Verizon to find and fix the servers that respond this way.  Its not all the servers.

0 Likes
JGH3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Find the eudora.ini file (should be in the  Eudora folder)  using Notepad, edit the eudora.ini file by adding the following line in the [Settings] section: add  SmtpAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5 after SmtpAuthAllowed=1. Save and restart Eudora.

0 Likes
straysaver1

I starting having the same sending problem using Eudora 7.1.0.9 and Windows 8.1 about a week ago.  I am in SE VA.

I tried adding the line of code using Notebook, and every time I save, I get an access denied message.  Is there a Eudora user out there than can help me with this?

Thanks.

0 Likes
straysaver1

I was able to get this done by editing the file, saving to the desktop and then dragging it to replace the existing file.

Here's the link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/why-am-i-unable-to-edit-any-in...

Looks like all is OK for now.  Have no doubt that Verizon will cause a problem again in future.  This forum is priceless!!

0 Likes