How do I delete a legacy bellatlantic email address?
jrsyangl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a legacy bellatlantic.net email address. I only get spam on it and would like to delete it. It is not an alias address and does not show up in my profile. Verizon support has been of no help. Anyone know how to delete it from my account?

0 Likes
Re: How do I delete a legacy bellatlantic email address?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@jrsyangl1 wrote:

I have a legacy bellatlantic.net email address. I only get spam on it and would like to delete it. It is not an alias address and does not show up in my profile. Verizon support has been of no help. Anyone know how to delete it from my account?

What is the purpose of deleting it?  If I were in your spot I'd simply stop checking it or downloading mail from that address.  I have more than a few legacy email addresses that are of no value to me, but "deleting" them seems a task that's more trouble than it's worth.

Just my view, of course.

0 Likes
jrsyangl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Armond, it is still spam and now I am also getting bounced spam, ie spam sent to undeliverable addresses with my legacy email in the Reply To field. I check my mail with Thnderbird and do not know how to stop downloading just for the legacy address. Ideally, it should not be that hard to delete an address.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The @bellatlantic portion of your address is not something first level agents have access to. They will need to send a ticket up to the OSC team. Make sure they note in the ticket that you just want to get rid of the Bell Atlantic alias and not the whole address, and that you are aware that once it is deleted, you will NEVER be able to get it back.

As a simpler solution, you could just set up a filter that says if it's to that address, delete it. It can then work in the background without you having to actively do anything.

jrsyangl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

somegirl, thank you very much for the suggestion about using the filter; that will certainly help. But there is still the issue of spammers using my @bellatlantic address in the From: field of their spam. Not only do I get the bounced messages from postmasters when the spammer uses undeliverable addresses, I am even more concerned about people getting spam with my name in the From: field. If I get Verizon to delete the bellatlantic address, will this prevent spammers from sending spam with that address?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@jrsyangl1 wrote:

@somegirl, thank you very much for the suggestion about using the filter; that will certainly help. But there is still the issue of spammers using my @bellatlantic address in the From: field of their spam. Not only do I get the bounced messages from postmasters when the spammer uses undeliverable addresses, I am even more concerned about people getting spam with my name in the From: field. If I get Verizon to delete the bellatlantic address, will this prevent spammers from sending spam with that address?

Nope.  They can continue to use a name even if it doesn't match any actual id on any mail server.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I still have my aol email address from 1992.

I simply stopped using it.  I could care less about it.   

0 Likes