INEXCUSABLE email issues
mike91163
Enthusiast - Level 2

As evidenced by the number of posts and complaints from FiOS users, Verizon's scheme to force their users over to SSL-based email communications was harebrained and poorly-designed, to say the least!

We all received that email concerning changing the server's port settings, right?  We all did what was requested / "ordered", right?  Everything seemed to be working fine for a few weeks...yet, the past couple of days, retrieving emails has been quite an adventure.

As a network administrator for the past 20+ years, in a variety of environments large and small, I know how critical it is to properly configure servers-particularly those used by hundreds or thousands of users.  Part of that configuration process means you test, test again, and test over and over and over until you are 100% certain that everything is working as planned.

I work at a company with a mere 100 or so users, and we have a single-ONE-Exchange server to handle all that email, and it has NEVER hiccuped...and NO, the issue has NOT been resolved!

I'd bet the ranch that some **bleep** at Verizon fiddled with their DNS settings that point email to the proper IP address block(s), and the **bleep** from a certain Asian sub-continent that talk a good game with loads of gobbledygook and big technical words haven't looked at the most obvious solutions yet.

Well, Verizon?  What say you?  And yes, I can handle a full-blown technical explanation...and please do not try to snow me with a capacity excuse, or the old standby of "the servers went down..."  You should have multiple datacenters full of rack-mounted 1 and 2U servers...AND, if you don't have 'em properly configured for failover, then every stinkin' member of your "IT staff" should get pink slips tomorrow.

Re: INEXCUSABLE email issues
mike91163
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, dear moderator "Elizabeth S", may I be so bold as to ask why the following words were oh-so-offensive as to get eradicated?

In the sentence "I'd bet the ranch...", the horrific word used is one used to describe a person of very limited intelligence; it's five letters, begins with a "M" and ends with an "N", with two "O"s and one "R" in the middle.

The second terrible word is a term many computer administrators use to talk about users who perform tasks in a dubious fashion; it begins with the first two letters of the word "identification", then imagine the number ten being represented by two letters-the "I" and "O", and finally the last two letters would be the initials of a gentleman by the name of Tom Smith.

I find it ironic, and quite abhorrent, that the moderators have plenty of time to scan and remove the "awful" words from posts critical of Verizon, yet they and their co-workers cannot either repair the problems which were described, or indicate in the forums when us PAYING customers might expect a resolution.

Gotta love the fine work these Verizon employees demonstrate; they are actually lowering themselves to the level of your local cable TV empire! 

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@mike91163 wrote:

Hey, dear moderator "Elizabeth S", may I be so bold as to ask why the following words were oh-so-offensive as to get eradicated?

In the sentence "I'd bet the ranch...", the horrific word used is one used to describe a person of very limited intelligence; it's five letters, begins with a "M" and ends with an "N", with two "O"s and one "R" in the middle.

The second terrible word is a term many computer administrators use to talk about users who perform tasks in a dubious fashion; it begins with the first two letters of the word "identification", then imagine the number ten being represented by two letters-the "I" and "O", and finally the last two letters would be the initials of a gentleman by the name of Tom Smith.

I find it ironic, and quite abhorrent, that the moderators have plenty of time to scan and remove the "awful" words from posts critical of Verizon, yet they and their co-workers cannot either repair the problems which were described, or indicate in the forums when us PAYING customers might expect a resolution.

Gotta love the fine work these Verizon employees demonstrate; they are actually lowering themselves to the level of your local cable TV empire! 

I feel the need to point out that the forum moderators (to my understanding) are not Verizon employees. They are employed by Lithium, the provider of the forum software. Moderating the forums is their job.

There are some Verizon employees the post here occasionally, but they are clearly identified with "Employee" status and a Verizon icon. They do not moderate the boards.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

@mike91163 wrote:

The two words you describe were not edited by any moderator.  They are edited by the software word filter and Verizon has chosen to have those words replaced with the *bleep* that you see in your post.

0 Likes