Intermittent Email Send Failures
MenotomyDave
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using "smtp.verizon.net" for sending out emails via Outlook Express and about

half the time I get the following failure notice:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: {edited for privacy}, Server: 'smtp.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

If I try again it eventually works.
But it is rather annoying and not a problem I had with other services.

Is there any fix for this?

Is there any customer support out there?
0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Email Send Failures
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is peer to peer.

Curious.  Are you a business customer.  You mention @ synapse. 

tns (retired IT guy, never a verizon employee)

ps:  Possibly you just need to increase the timeout value.  Can also occur if a antivirus program is taking to long analysing a message.

Buddha542

I'm having the same problems with sending AND receiving my email through Outlook Express. And I've only been having these problems since Verizon notified me to update my Email Server settings. I've double and triple checked them, and they are just as Verizon told me they should be. And I did re-start my computer after making the changes.

In addition to the msg shown in your note, I also have received this message:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'xxxxxxxxx@verizon.net'.{mail to: link removed for privacy} Server: 'smtp.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Authentication Required', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

This is extremely frustrating. My email was working just fine. I'm asked to change the server settings and now I can't send or receive email.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Buddha542 wrote:

I'm having the same problems with sending AND receiving my email through Outlook Express. And I've only been having these problems since Verizon notified me to update my Email Server settings. I've double and triple checked them, and they are just as Verizon told me they should be. And I did re-start my computer after making the changes.

In addition to the msg shown in your note, I also have received this message:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'xxxxxxxxx@verizon.net'.{mail to: link removed for privacy} Server: 'smtp.verizon.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 5.7.1 Authentication Required', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

This is extremely frustrating. My email was working just fine. I'm asked to change the server settings and now I can't send or receive email.

You have to check the box in your settings that tells the client your SMTP server requires authentication, and provide your Verizon credentials.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I am having the exact same problem described by the OP. Same symptoms.  Same error message.   The only difference is I'm using Windows Live Mail in Windows 7 (x64) SP1.

I think it's worth emphasizing that as reported by the OP, if sending a message fails and I try sending again, and maybe a third time, it always eventually goes through.

That would indicate to me that neither the OP or I have a setting in our mail client wrong.  If we did, I would expect a message would never send, rather than taking several attempts.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As said this particular error is to much time being used and timing out.  Usually something about your machine such as virus scanner.  Possibly can be corrected by increasing your time out value.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
Well...I don't buy that explanation. At least not in my situation.

My PC is a Win 7 (x64) SP1 machine. i7 @ 3.2 Ghz CPU and 12 gigs of RAM. I see the problem we're talking about when nothing but WLM is running, CPU is under 5%, lots of RAM available, etc.

In addition, my time out is set to a minute and the send fails and the error pops up in well under a minute.

In addition, if I use other SMTP servers I never have the problem.

With all that, I can't believe the problem is local to my machine.
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No antivirus software?  The suggestion is Microsoft's for the error of the OP 0x800CCC0F.  That is connection timing out. Other errors should be discussed in other threads.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1
Anti-virus is MSE. Disabling makes no difference.

I believe I'm experiencing a problem at Verizon's SMTP server(s). If that's not relevant to this thread I'm sorry I wasted both of our time. I'll continue with my work around...using another provider's SMTP server.
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:
Anti-virus is MSE. Disabling makes no difference.

I believe I'm experiencing a problem at Verizon's SMTP server(s). If that's not relevant to this thread I'm sorry I wasted both of our time. I'll continue with my work around...using another provider's SMTP server.

Are you getting the timeout error of the OP?  If so try increasing the timeout value beyond 1 minute.  If you are getting a different error, there are several threads discussing other reasons for intermitent send failures.  For example not specifying seperately that authorization is required for send and receive, and trying to use the option "use same settings as my incoming mail server" 

Not that its related to the error but consider using Microsoft's free succssor to Outlook Express.  Windows (live) mail.

0 Likes