Mac Mail and the New December 2011 Port Number Changes
venicejim

1.  It would be nice if VZ would get ahead of the curve and publish SPECIFIC, TESTED instructions for Mac users regarding the 12/21/11 announced email changes for computer-based mail client users:  POP3 @ port 995, SMTP @ port 465, and SSL authentication.

While a few minutes of poking around with a secondary email ID will usually lead to a solution on a Mac, why not prepare your users in advance??  I'm a stockholder and know VZ has enough money to buy an iMac to check this stuff out ahead of time.

2.  When will this change take place?  Can we implement and test the changes in advance? Is there a grace period?  I'd have been called in on the carpet had I sent out a message to end users like I got from VZ with half of the required information missing.

3.  "Additional information may also be available by going to our online forum..."  When?  Do the animals have to run the zoo?

0 Likes
Re: Mac Mail and the New December 2011 Port Number Changes
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just posted a similiar thread.

I have an Apple MacBook Pro and the only port number listed in the email setup is 110.

It doesn't say whether this is an Incoming or Outgoing port number so I tried both and both failed to send/receive mail.

I used the default # 110 and works fine.

Called Verizon Tech Support and they don't have a clue and told me to call Apple. I called Apple TS and they said it was a Verizon DSL problem.

Any suggestions??

0 Likes
danpb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent an addtl 90 minutes on the phone with VZ DSL Techs trying to resolve this problem. The new ports do work fine with Windows Outlook and OE6.0 but DO NOT work with any Apple Mail.

The step-by-step workflow VZ puts up for OE is great but when asked why they list Apple email fix but do not provide a detailed "how to change" their answer is "Apple Mail is proprietary and we can't advise!"

Apple TS sez it is a VZ problem.

I suggest any Apple users to report problem with VZ Tech Support then ask for immediate escalation of problem.

They also suggested I check this forum. I stated you had better check this forum because there are half a dozen threads started on the same Apple Email subject.

Not happy and I was a VZ employee for 37 years! Very shameful tech support and customer service!

lenzdm
Enthusiast - Level 1

For Mac Mail do the following to edit your port numbers...

Once in Mail choose Mail | Preferences...

Click on Accounts

For Outgoing Server Change do the following

Choose the account you want to edit, then click on "Account Information"

Next to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), there is a drop down.  Choose "Edit SMTP Server List..."

Click on the Outgoing Server name, then click on "Advanced"

Choose "Custom Port", then type in 465

Clck on "Use Secure Socket Layers (SSL)

Click "OK"

For incoming Server Change Do the following:

Choose the account you want to edit, then click on "Account Information"

Click on "Advanced"

at bottom, change "Port" to 995

Click on "Use SSL"

Once Done you will be prompted to save

FilTex

Thank you.  Too bad, Verizon itselft doesn't provide this type of info.  

0 Likes
mcpaulbeck
Enthusiast - Level 2

I changed our email accounts when the first email notice was received from Verizon in December.  Since then, we have error messages all day, minimum once an hour  "Connection to the server failed or was dropped.". Then next time it will work and emails are received.  The send/receive schedule is set for every 5 minutes on one machine, every 10 on the other. 

Why would it work 9 times out of 10?  This is extremely annoying.  This happend before and eventually stopped, and was fine for a long time until this latest change.  This happens on both the MacBook and iMac, both using Entourage (Microsoft Office 2008) as the email client the MacBook on OS X 10.7.2 the iMac on 10.6.6.

0 Likes
WilliamCPratt

I made all the recommended changes to my Mac Mail preference settings last night but I still cannot receive or send any mail.

Given that Verizon supports the iPhone now, with screwing up my mail, which until now has worked with Mac Mail for almost 10 years without a problem!

Comcast is looking more attractive all the time.

0 Likes
SkyKing918

I made these changes when I was first notified and had no problems until today. But now, after intermittent disconnects all day today (1-5-2011), I can now no longer receive email at all.

0 Likes
WiseOldOwl1

Excellent instructions!

Why couldn't  Verizon supply this with the initial email? 

Thank you very much.

0 Likes
SkyKing918

Problem seems to have resolved itself. There may have been a temporary network glitch.

0 Likes