My Double Play "Service" Costs Too Much
kenneigh

I established my FiOS double play account (Internet & TV) in June 2011.

Received my billing statement for November 2013, I believe.  It bears no date -- nor a due date for payment.  Might this omission leave me open to undeserved late charges?

I notice my 'total amount due' has jumped ten dollars from October-- to $138.36.  For a measly double play no less.  Probably due to the deletion of the "12-month bundle credit" I'd been getting.  Tough to stomach the $138.36 when new customers (per the TV ads) are granted (we're told) a two-year triple play deal for $89 a month.  Even tougher to stomach when noting Verizon has provided zero true customer service support since my "service" commenced on June 23,  2011.

Early this year I was told by savvy non-Verizon IT folks that I needed a wireless-capable router in order to get the most out my FiOS "service."  (I have a 7-year-old HP desktop PC.) 

I phoned Verizon (1-800-837-4966) in May this year and spoke to what I believed was a customer service rep identifying herself as "Iris," who told me Verizon would "waive" the unit price of a new router except for a $5.99 shipping cost.  But as we spoke telephonically, Iris said she was "having computer problems," and I would be transferred to another customer representative, in"Wireless Customer Service."  However, the connection wasn't made, and I had to start the customer service connection all over again. Very time consuming to say the least.

I reached a woman (I believe) named "Alinda," who said  she dealt in phones only, and I was transferred to  "Sharon" in "sales," who transferred me to "Acci" (a male I think) in "billing," who switched me to "Wilson," who in fact said a a new router would cost me $79.99 under an "arrangement," details for which would be available by calling 1+888-553-1555.  I dialed the number, and got a recording, "Your call can't be completed as dialed."  At which point I hung up in disgust and frustration. 

As things stand, I am not receiving what I'd consider decent Internet service via FiOS,  and the TV "service" is also less-than "quality."   For $138.36 a month no less! Certainly my FiOS experience has not been "as advertised."  Maybe it's because I'm not tossing enough money Verizon's way.

Moreover, my dealings with local FiOS "management" and technicians in NOrthern Virginia have  resulted in weak responses and zero service to say the least.  Even the initial installation at my home was screwed up!

A response will be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: My Double Play "Service" Costs Too Much
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

Hate to tell you this but...

This is a user-to-user forum and while Verizon reps do participate, it is individual users helping other users so while I do sympathize--and have experienced some of the issues you outlined--you are probably not going to get much satisfaction here.

>>Early this year I was told by savvy non-Verizon IT folks that I needed a wireless-capable router in order to get the most out my FiOS "service."  (I have a 7-year-old HP desktop PC.)

You stated you have FiOS broadband service (vs. phone and/or tv), so you should already have a wireless capable router because it is a standard part of the service--if you have Verizon DSL service, that is something totally different and I'm not sure if a wireless capable router is standard equipment. If you have a desktop system and no laptops or tablets, then you more than likely will not user or need the wireless portion of the router because your desktop pc is directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable.

If you do have a laptop that you'd like to use wirelessly (that is, without directly connecting it to the router via ethernet cable), then those of us who frequent the forum may be able to help you get that working--I don't own a tablet so I don't know much about them but I'm sure there are people here who can probably help you with that.

NOTE: The term "wireless" can be confusing. "Wireless" in its simplest definition/form means "without wires" and with respect to computer equipment means that one is not directly connected to a router using an ethernet cable and is using the router's wireless function to get online.

An alternate definition of "Wireless", for Verizon (and probably other providers) can mean cell phone service--I suspect the "Wireless Customer Service" person your phone call was directed to was on Verizon's cell phone side and that is completely different from the broadband/phone/tv side of Verizon.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kenneigh wrote:

I notice my 'total amount due' has jumped ten dollars from October-- to $138.36.  For a measly double play no less.  Probably due to the deletion of the "12-month bundle credit" I'd been getting.  Tough to stomach the $138.36 when new customers (per the TV ads) are granted (we're told) a two-year triple play deal for $89 a month. 

Like another poster said, this is peer-to-peer forum.  You won't get a response from Verizon here.  At best, this thread might be escalated to a customer support ticket, in which case you'll be talking with the same people you'd get if you follow the "contact us" link at the bottom of these web pages.

As for the cost, I suspect you've posted your total bill amount.  The $89.99 price quoted in advertising is not what anyone actually pays.  There are taxes, fees, DVR service fees and set-top-box rentals added t this price.  For example, the fee for a DVR is $19.99 a month.  Chances are that a single TV with DVR total cost is a little less than what you're paying.

If you really want to see what a new customer would pay, use the online sign-up tool to build an example using the address of a non Verizon served address near you (say, your neighbor who uses cable).  Be sure to add the same equipment you have now.  This will give you a pre-tax/fee number to compare with your bill.

That said, I feel your pain.  FiOS is a great product, however dealing with Verizon can be difficult at times, especially when it comes to billing and contracts.  I've had times when gotten great technical support and had issues resolved with one 5 minute phone call.  Then I've had times when I've called about billing or "mis-communications" on contract commitments and spent an hour or more on the phone, often requiring multiple phone calls when a call "randomly" drops.

I find that polite persistence stands the best chance of getting what I want from Verizon, but not always.  More often than not Verizon does not give up anything when it relates to monthly charges.  For example, my current contract is just about to end and along with it my $35/mo in new customer credits I got.  The best they are offering me is $5/mo both online and through the phone.  I'm not sure I'll be able to get anything better from them, so I am investigating the options from my local cable provider.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi kenneigh,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello kenneigh,

Unfortunately due to non response we will close the private thread. If you still need assistance with your home services or ever need help with anything else, let us know in a new public post.

Thank you,
-Jeramy

0 Likes
kenneigh

Some Verizon poster ID'd as Jeremy responded to my complaint (subject) by stating my complaint had been closed-out due to a "non-response," supposedly on my part.   I never received any response from Verizon previous to the close-out message. 

But I'm not surprised.  This site is no more user friendly or straightforward than Verizon's so-called "customer support."

Kenneigh

12/01/2013

0 Likes
kenneigh

REJECT AS "SOLUTION." 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi kenneigh,

I posted instructions above on how to access the private support case that was created to help you with your issue.  The support agents did not hear from you.  Would you like us to reopen the case for you?  If so, once the case is reopened, you will need to access the case thread and provide information to the support agent before they can proceed further.

0 Likes