My email password and my verizon account password are the same? Are you SERIOUS?
lbb
Enthusiast - Level 2

The other day I did something I never do, actually log into my verizon account.  I hate the verizon interface, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than use it, but every now and then I have to use it to handle a bill.  So, of course the password that I remembered setting on it didn't work.  So I jumped through the hoops to reset the password, conducted my business, and left the site, hopefully not to return for a year at least.

Lo and behold, the next time I tried to access my email (which I use Thunderbird for, and don't tell me it's not a supported client, it works fine, and no I'm not going to use Verizon's webmail interface), it won't accept my email password.  Now, this password HAD always been distinct from my verizon account password.  But...telling myself, "Oh no they didn't," I tried using the new password that I'd set for my online account.  Surprise!  It let me into my email!

Now, this morning, neither the new password nor my old email password are being accepted.

So, I have two questions, apart from the existential "why does Verizon feel the need to torture its customers like this":

1)Are they SERIOUSLY requiring you to have the SAME password for your email AND your My Verizon Account?

2)If, as I hope and pray, the answer to 1 is "hellz no", how can I change just my EMAIL password?

Anticipating a reply of, "No, it's just one password, because we've decided that's MORE secure, and your whole problem is that you're using Thunderbird, because ummmm somehow Thunderbird renders passwords into ancient Greek before it submits them and so it won't work, but of course some dull-normal client like Outlook WILL work, and don't ask me the details because I'm really not very technical, but apparently I'm technical enough to tell you that your client is no good"...

Re: My email password and my verizon account password are the same? Are you SERIOUS?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yes, the passwords are the same now. Verizon made a big push a while back to give customers a single login. They merged everyone's accounts, not because it is more secure, but because they think customers will find it easier. No, there is no way to change just your email password.

And no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using Thunderbird. Many of us have it configured for verizon.net addresses, and it works just fine.

Wish I had a better answer for you...

Re: My email password and my verizon account password are the same? Are you SERIOUS?
VZN13579246

Hey! At least your e-mail service works! After spending an hour with Tech Support, I STILL can't log into my e-mail account. When I try to use my Verizon username and password, I get an error message that neither was recognized. Any advice??

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3
Ibb - beautifully written. You have the smart sensibility possessed by not a single person on verizon's website or front-line tech support. More, please.
0 Likes