Netscape software with Verizon smtp???
cityslic

When is Verizon going to unlock the smtp for Netscape Mail software? I've used NS for years, with a 20-year-old e-mail address, and now I have to d/l mail, go to webpage, then reply or send mail from the webpage, then go to Netscape software to save message on my harddrive. I need a good SMTP for Netscape Mail software.

0 Likes
Re: Netscape software with Verizon smtp???
PJL
Master - Level 3

What do you mean "unlock" SMTP for Netscape mail?  SMTP is open to the Verizon servers.  I use it now.  Are you using the right ports and server names? 

What operating system are you using?  Windows Live Mail (see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials-other-programs) has a good SMTP client.  The Windows 8 Mail app works fine too, as does Oulook.  I use Outlook as a consolidated inbox for my Verizon, Charter, GMail, AOL, Outlook.com email address.  Microsoft Mail can allow for the same.  I've tried it.

I have know idea about Mac OS, but I'm sure there is an app for that.

0 Likes
cityslic

Windows 7 - Netscape Mail. Ever since Verizon changed the security ports, I have not been able to send mail using Netscape - using smtp.verizon.net and port 465. I can receive mail and download it with Netscape mail, but cannot send. My e-mail is through earthlink, formerly ix.netcom.com, which I have used for 20 years, and haven't been able to use Netscape to send mail since June 4, 1012.

0 Likes
cityslic

The only answer anyone came up with when I first started asking this question is that Verizon doesn't support Netscape software. I do not use Outlook, and never plan to use it.

0 Likes
JustGotFiOS
Contributor - Level 2

Netscape?? That browser is years old and no longer maintained. I strongly recommend to stop using it. The core of Netscape browser was morphed into Firefox and the email client that goes with that is Thunderbird. Thunderbird is an excellent email program and fully supported by Verizon. I suggest you make the switch.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>cityslic: Windows 7 - Netscape Mail. Ever since Verizon changed the security ports, I have not been able to send mail using Netscape - using smtp.verizon.net and port 465. I can receive mail and download it with Netscape mail, but cannot send. My e-mail is through earthlink, formerly ix.netcom.com, which I have used for 20 years, and haven't been able to use Netscape to send mail since June 4, 1012.

It's been quite a while since I used Netscape for my email--I still have it on my old system but I can't check my Netscape settings for you because I've lent that system to a friend of mine but, if memory serves, the Netscape email setting are very similar to the settings in Thunderbird.

I don't know if the following link will help at all but I just laid out the Thunderbird settings in a reply to a query in another thread--page 2 of "Eudora & server changes". The link should take you to page 2 of the thread and scroll down and compare your Netscape setting values to the Thunderbird settings.

From my own experience, take a close look at the security settings which changed to SSL/TLS and Password (or Normal Password) because even though I'd changed the server names and ports, it wasn't until I also changed the security settings that thing began to work--I was working blind as I have never received an email from Verizon outlining the changes and was unaware of them until I had problems with sending mail from Eudora.

I miss Netscape...'-}}

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@cityslic wrote:

Windows 7 - Netscape Mail. Ever since Verizon changed the security ports, I have not been able to send mail using Netscape - using smtp.verizon.net and port 465. I can receive mail and download it with Netscape mail, but cannot send. My e-mail is through earthlink, formerly ix.netcom.com, which I have used for 20 years, and haven't been able to use Netscape to send mail since June 4, 1012.

You are trying to use  a Verizon SMTP server to send email from your Earthlink account?  That is probably why it no longer works.  I doubt Verizon would accept the mail from a non-Verizon address anymore.  That is a huge security hole that could allow a spammer to use Verizon email forwarding.  To send using you Earthlink account you should be using an Earthlink outbound server.  I had the same situation with a Charter account.  When I tried the Charter outgoing server it wirked fine.

0 Likes