Norton AntiSpam stopped working since change to Ports 995 and 465
bonibee11
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is part of the Norton Internet Security Suite, and I noticed that the Norton AntiSpam has not worked since I changed the ports as requested by Verizon a few months back.   I cannot protect ports 995 and 465 as they are being used by other programs and are secured ports.    Is there any way to add those ports in, or does it really not matter much?  I use Outlook 2007 and I notice that whatever junk comes thru my email, I now have to mark as Spam and it filters into the Outlook Junk mailbox.   What concerns me is NIS no longer scans outgoing mail or incoming mail, as I've never had any issues with viruses.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Norton AntiSpam stopped working since change to Ports 995 and 465
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a current feature of Norton AntiSpam, although it has been suggested to them and acknowledged.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Norton antiSpam (and other antispam software) has trouble when working SSL.  They really can't tell its Spam if the message is still encrypted.  So it needs to work within the Email Client after the message is decrypted, and few clients have any place for them to place the AntiSpam software.

Justin46
Legend

I do not have Norton so I don't know if this will help or not, but maybe it will....

I use the free version of Avast for my anti-virus, and one of the functions it offers is to define SSL email hosts to it and then use normal unencrypted definitions in my email client (in my case, Windows Live Mail). This way Avast actually encrypts/decrypts the emails and sends/receives them so it can scan the emails for viruses, etc. The settings for this are rather hidden in the Avast interface, but they are there, and they seem to work well.

So you might look more deeply into Norton to see if it has a similar function buried somewhere.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not a current feature of Norton AntiSpam, although it has been suggested to them and acknowledged.

0 Likes
bonibee11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, as I've read on the Norton community forums.  Hopefully, one day they will find a workaround.  Meanwhile, I'm just cautious, as always, as to what I open.

0 Likes