One question
Dave1136

I received an EMAIL from FIOS indicating to update my POP email application’s inbound and outbound server settings as soon as possible. I received this on Thursday March 28th, 2013. I changed all the settings as instructed, rebooted, and of course nothing worked! I then changed all my settings back to the original settings and of course everything worked as before. I called tech support from FIOS and the gentlemen indicated that they were having trouble with the new servers and to disregard that EMAIL but keep it handy as FIOS might fix the problem.

What am I to do now? Keep trying the new settings till it works? It would be better if FIOS sent out a memo regarding their problems and to say when the new inbound and outbound servos should be changed.

Anybody agree? I hope FIOS monitors this problem and takes appropriate action to fix it!

0 Likes
Re: One question
JanetInNJ
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted about this the other day.  I got that e-mail a few weeks ago.  I made the changes and had no problems.  Then, earlier this week, I checked my mail around 6am.  Everything was fine.  When I went to log in a few hours later, I couldn't connect to server.

I had made a note of the old settings (good thing).  I changed things back and all has been fine since.  Several people replied to my post that they were having the same issue.

You're right -- they should send out a mass message that there are problems and change back to old settings.

I'm leaving the old ones till it stops working.

Janet in NJ

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JanetInNJ wrote:

I posted about this the other day.  I got that e-mail a few weeks ago.  I made the changes and had no problems.  Then, earlier this week, I checked my mail around 6am.  Everything was fine.  When I went to log in a few hours later, I couldn't connect to server.

I had made a note of the old settings (good thing).  I changed things back and all has been fine since.  Several people replied to my post that they were having the same issue.

You're right -- they should send out a mass message that there are problems and change back to old settings.

I'm leaving the old ones till it stops working.

Janet in NJ

There have been outages over the years with all the services.  You just hit one that effected Some area for the new email servers.  You still should switch back to them.  They are really planning to eliminate the old servers at some future date.

0 Likes
Dusride

So I change the email settings and then my email downloads all my old and current emails residing on the server.  Why would I want to have to revisit copies of old emails I have read but am not ready to delete.

0 Likes
BillSamuel1

It's been really frustrating the last few days. For a few days I had to keep changing the settings because sometimes the old ones worked and sometimes the new ones, but never both simultaneously. The old ones seems to be gone now. but the new ones work very poorly. When I open my POP email program (Eudora), it may take 30 minutes or an hour to initially negotiate with the server, and sometimes even then it won't. My Android devices also often won't be able to retrieve email. There is something seriously defective about the new system. We are now in the 5th day of this debacle, and it is very frustrating.

0 Likes
singinglady

I, too, made the changes on my computer.  All is fine.  In fact I noticed that Outlook opens quicker.  My problem is that my iPad won't accept the change to incoming mail.  I get a message saying "the POP server "pop.verizon.net" doesn't support Authentiated POP (APOP) authentication.  Please check your account settings and try again. Can someone tell me how to fix this?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

APOP is not supported on the new servers.

In the advanced options make sure you set the SSL  and authentication PASSWORD not authenticion AUTHENTICATION POP i.e apop.

0 Likes