POP3 vs. IMAP
berk4
Enthusiast - Level 1
Does verizon ever plan to change their email protocol from POP3 to IMAP? POP3 is outdated and limits functionality you can get with IMAP.
Re: POP3 vs. IMAP
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They have said no.

And POP3 is not outmoded, It probably still powers more than half of all email in the world.  IMAP has its disadvantages too, requiring you to be always connected.  The recent popularity of IMAP has to do with more people using smartphones, tablets, etc.

Re: POP3 vs. IMAP
djb5
Contributor - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

They have said no.

And POP3 is not outmoded, It probably still powers more than half of all email in the world.  IMAP has its disadvantages too, requiring you to be always connected.  The recent popularity of IMAP has to do with more people using smartphones, tablets, etc.

As a recent converter to gmail (because of Verizon's handling of curtailment of overseas access), I want to add my thoughts on the advantages of POP3.

As TNS_2 pointed out, IMAP requires you to be connected in order to access your email. This means you can't access important email (perhaps that which you have already read) if you are without a connection.

For instance - hotel confirmations, boarding passes, information you need at the moment.

I end up sending important things to my verizon email account and then open on my mobile devices (to store on my device) to be sure I have critical information with me when I need it. Yes, I know there are other ways, this is my current workaround while I adjust to cloud-based email that isn't always available when I need it. This is the only thing for which I now use my verizon email account. (and I do miss the ease of using familiar folders to organize my email, hard to switch from something you know to something new)