Repointing a sub-account email from my old verizon account to my new one.
Catmann

I have seen some posts about repointing email addresses, but I am having trouble getting anyone at verizon to do anything like this. 

I have a sub-account email that is a primary email for my wife.  When we bought a new house, we created a completely separate and new verizon account at the new one because we wanted service at both houses while we made the transition.  Plus, we did not care about keeping the old number.

So, now that we have moved, I would like to cancel my old service at the old house as no one is there.  However, I need to keep a sub-account email which is linked to that account.  I thought I could have Verizon just move it over to our new account, but all I seem to get is a suggestion to use their $20 domain name service, which seems crazy since I am still paying for Verizon service.

The last person I spoke to (this is going on 4 hours of phone time now!) suggested an alias, but I do not want an alias email as the email is my wife's name@verizon.net.  I am guessing an alias will forward the old to the new, but the new one would still be a different email address.  When she responds to emails, I want it to be the same email she has now, not with a 77 or something at the end of it.

Does anyone know if this can be done?  Both accounts are currently active, I just want to repoint it to the new account.  Thank you if you have any suggestions!

0 Likes
Re: Repointing a sub-account email from my old verizon account to my new one.
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

If the old address is a primary address and you want it repointed to a sub on the new account, it's going to be nearly impossible to find someone that will do that. Primary accounts have to be repointed to primary accounts and subs repointed to subs.

Catmann

No, it is currently a sub-account attached to the phone number that I wish to cancel.  It will still be a sub-account, I just want it moved so that it is associated with my new phone number (as a sub-account) so I can cancel the old phone number at my old house.

Is this feasible?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Yes, that's possible. You may have some difficulty finding someone to do it for you, but it's do-able. They will need to have permission from both account holders (you and your wife, I believe?) so you may want to call sometime when you can both be on the phone.

Go ahead and create a "dummy" sub account on the new account with a username that you DO NOT want to keep, since they have to have somewhere to move the username to. Then they can temporarily disable to old account and repoint the username. Moving the content would require more time, since that requires an escalation, but it can also be done.

Don't forget that you can always ask for a supervisor if the tech tells you it can't be done. There are some Verizon people around the boards here that occasionally stop in to help out with issues, but there are no gurantees.

Best of luck!

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Catmann wrote:

... I do not want an alias email as the email is my wife's name@verizon.net ...

It's simplest to merely set up a new sub-account.  If you want to maintain, for example " janedoe@verizon.net " you can use something like "jane.doe" or jane_doe" or something similar.  It is a lot easier to send a few email messages notifying existing correspondents of the new address, that to jump through hoops trying methods that are not well adapted to certain changes.  Easiest of all is to use a web-based address such as janedoe@gmail.com that can be down-loaded via POP to any email client.  No matter how many times you change physical addresses or service providers you will never have to change existing email addresses.

irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, I had a supervisor do it for me about 2 years ago when I switched over from DSL to FIOS.  They repointed and switched over about 8 business sub accounts which would have been dramatic had  I lost them after so many years.  Do I remember how it was done?  Not really.  What I do remember distinctly is that my DSL account had to be closed first. I waited until  FIOS was installed, then shut the DSL account off, and was able to transfer my primary verizon.net email account.  Then a  supervisor spent about an hour with me on the phone and transferred all the sub accounts (8)over.   One thing I was told a long time ago was to never rely on an ISP's email addressfor this reason.  Had I used my Yahoo or gmail account, I would have never had this problem.  I still use my verizon.net addresses tho.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Repoints are never done anymore. It causes problems with the accounts on the back end. What can and will be done is an account scrub. This moves the primary and subaccount over from account 1 to account 2. It completely erases whatever accounts is on account 2. It's an all or nothing process, individual accounts can be cherry-picked to be transitioned. I don't think the alias route would be the what you had in mind either. If you cancel the subaccount, it's name can't be re-used for many months. It gets put into a locked state. The best way to get the best of both worlds is the $19.99/year service you were referring to, domain email service. Please let me know if you would like the accounts scrubbed and I'll get more information for you at that time.

0 Likes
Catmann

I have no problem with an account scrub.  We do not use the primary email address on either active account.  The only email we use is the one sub-account attached to the phone number I wish to cancel.  And since it is my wife's name, and she has so many people using the account it would be best for us if she could keep it intact.  There really is no content she needs to save, she downloads her emails daily and she does not use the web interface, so it is really just a matter of keeping her email account active (and the same).  Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help!

0 Likes
slj235

Due to Hurricane Sandy, we  were told by Verizon that we could no longer have DSL service at our beach home in Ocean Beach, New York and would have to go to  a Jet Pack for internet.   Since I have had the same verizon.net email address for 20+ years and knowing that  if you don't follow the proper steps, you can lose it, I was very careful before calling and cancelling my DSL service.  I spoke to several supervisors who suggested two things:  Switch back to Verizon DSL at my apartment in Manhattan, and as an extra precaution, pay $19.99 to Verizon My Domain. I did both of those things before cancelling my DSL at the beach house. Neither one of these solutions seemed to work.  Over the past 2-3 weeks,  I have spent over 45 HOURS on the telephone with Verizon Tech Support, Cust Support, and supervisors.  It has been one of the worst experiences of my life!  How could something so simple become so difficult for Verizon to do??

When the techs came out to my apartment to register my modem for my new DSL there, I explained the situation to them, i.e. that I wanted to keep my email address from the DSL line at the beach house and repoint it to the new DSL line. When they tried to enter my email address, the system would not let them, so they set up a new user name and email address, Although I protested and asked them to please call Tech Support or Cust Service to look at the notes on my account, they said everything would be fine.  This is where my trouble started.  I have spent over 45  hours of my time on the phone with Verizon Tech Support, Customer Service and Supervisors.  There have been calls that lasted over 3 hours!  They all told me they could not repoint my email address, although only 1 year ago I had done exactly the same thing (To save some money, I cancelled my dsl on a line in my name that I know longer wanted and put it on a line in my husband's name.  At that time, Verizon repointed the email addres.)  One email rep told me to call tech support and ask them to do an "email scrub"  but he said, don't tell them anything else because that will confuse them.  I tried that, to no avail.  After talking to many, many techs,  finally, one Level 3 Supervisor said he fixed it so I could save my email address, but it is NOT attached to my new DSL line.  I have no idea what he did, but I am still getting my email.  I am very wary of this because I don't know what he did and if something happens in the future, I could suddenly lose the email address and not be able to retrieve it because it is not affiliated with my new DSL line. 

In the meanwhile, I registered with my domain.  A few days after paying for the service, I called to make sure that my email was saved correctly. The people at My domain, tell me that they can only save my vze email address and not my real email address, because my real address is an alias and they don't save aliases.  When I tell that to Verizon DSL, they do nothing to help me.  More hours on the phone with domain service and Verizon tech support and I still do not understand why they couldn't attach my email address to my new DSL line or why after paying money to my domain, they tell me they can't save my email address, only the vze address!!  I was just on hold with Verizon my domain for over an hour, before I had to hang up due to a business call coming in.  VERIZON Tech Support and Customer Service is at all time low.  I have never experienced so many incompetent people in tech support at any other company.  I posted this in the hope that some Verizon supervisor would see this and help me and all those other people who have posted regarding this issue, as well as those poor, frustrated souls who given up (which I am about to do!) 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi slj235,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".  There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes