Setting-up Thunderbird Email Client
dowtech1

Can easily download/retrieve my xx@verizon.net POP3 email, but getting errors trying to send.

Location is Downey California - a suburb of LosAngeles

Need advice about  server name, port number,   security, and other features

mail.verizon.net?

smtpauth.verizon.net?

outgoing.verizon.net?

25?

587?

110?

Secure? No? TLS if avail? TLS? SSL?

Should authentication username include @verizon.net?

Thanks,,

0 Likes
Re: Setting-up Thunderbird Email Client
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up fictional account "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: incoming.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes
Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): No
Port: 110

Outgoing Server: outgoing.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes (You can set it to use the same settings as incoming, or manually enter the username and password.)
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): No
Port: 25 (although 587 also works.)

These settings should work unless you have a Verizon/Yahoo account, in which case the server names are: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net -and- outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

FeelingFrisky
Enthusiast - Level 2

That example can't be used on Mozilla Thunderbird. There are no provisions a separate incoming andd outgoing host address. I'm trying to switch from Cox to Verizon and am looking for the server name such as cox uses in Thunderbird, "pop.east.cox.net".

0 Likes
FeelingFrisky
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've encounter a dialog box which lists the only mail client supported and Thunderbird isn't there. The statement said "other mail clients are not supported.". Dang it. I think were out of luck, nay?

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@FeelingFrisky wrote:

That example can't be used on Mozilla Thunderbird. There are no provisions a separate incoming andd outgoing host address. I'm trying to switch from Cox to Verizon and am looking for the server name such as cox uses in Thunderbird, "pop.east.cox.net".

...It most certainly does support a different outgoing server. Tools > Account Settings > Outgoing Server (SMTP)

You can even set up multiple SMTP servers for different accounts.

I have Thunderbird configured with verizon.net settings (posted above) and it works just fine. Where exactly are you running into an issue?

Justin46
Legend

Plus, with Thunderbird or other email clients, you can use SSL with Verizon email if you want, port 995 for incoming and port 465 for outgoing. I have Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail both set to use SSL and both work just fine.

Keller, TX 76248

ImAdummy

YOUR ANSWER DOESN'T WORK ON THUNDERBIRD

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@ImAdummy wrote:

YOUR ANSWER DOESN'T WORK ON THUNDERBIRD

Would you care to elaborate? Doesn't work in what way?

0 Likes
ajacksonian

I found the answer at : http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/highspeed/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/124322.htm

Configure Thunderbird to use port 465 for sending email In order to change your port settings to port 465 in Thunderbird, you must do the following:

1. Open Thunderbird, select the Tools menu and from the drop-down list select Account Settings.
  2. From the Account Settings window, in the left-hand column, select Outgoing Server (SMTP) and from underneath the Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings area of the window on the right, select Edit….
  3. In the SMTP Server window, enter 465 in the Port: field. Ensure you checkmark the Use name and passwordfield then enter your Verizon user name in the User Name field, omitting the @verizon.net portion of your email address.
  4. Select SSL/TLS in the "Connection Security" dropdown.
  5. When you are finished, select OK.

After you have completed the above steps for Thunderbird, you will be configured to use port 465 to send email with much greater safety and protection from spam and viruses.

0 Likes