Setup an ethernet wired network and broadcast wireless signal with Actiontec M1424WR router
dfo1

I would like to setup a wired ethernet home computer network and broadcast a wireless signal using my Verizon Actiontec M1424WR router.  How do I do that?

0 Likes
Re: Setup an ethernet wired network and broadcast wireless signal with Actiontec M1424WR router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Simple.  Plug your wired Ethernet devices into the yellow LAN jacks on the back of the router.  That's all there is to it.

If you need more than four connections, buy an Ethernet switch.

Enjoy!

0 Likes
Re: Setup an ethernet wired network and broadcast wireless signal with Actiontec M1424WR router
dfo1

I tried that, but no signal.  The computer was previously hooked up to the Verizon wireless (MI424WR router) via a wireless adapter card inside the computer.  I connected the ethernet cable from the router to the computer and no ethernet signal - only the wireless signal.  I then removed the wireless adapter card from the computer, plugged in the ethernet cable and no signal at all.  The computer is not recognizing the ethernet signal.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

dfo wrote:

... I connected the ethernet cable from the router to the computer and no ethernet signal ... removed the wireless adapter card from the computer, plugged in the ethernet cable and no signal at all ... 

While it is possible to disable the wireless radio on the Actiontec, it's not possible to disable the LAN jacks.  Of course they may be defective, and that's happened in the past.

Meanwhile, are you certain that you used one of the router LAN jacks (yellow) as gs0b suggested?  Just checking (smile).

0 Likes
Re: Setup an Ethernet wired network and broadcast wireless signal with Actiontec M1424WR router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dfo wrote:

I tried that, but no signal.  The computer was previously hooked up to the Verizon wireless (MI424WR router) via a wireless adapter card inside the computer.  I connected the Ethernet cable from the router to the computer and no Ethernet signal - only the wireless signal.  I then removed the wireless adapter card from the computer, plugged in the Ethernet cable and no signal at all.  The computer is not recognizing the Ethernet signal.

Most Ethernet device have a "link" light that illuminates when a successful connection is made

The Actiontec has these lights both on the yellow plugs and on the front.  Your computer may or may not have a link light on it's plug (laptops often avoid them to save power).  If no link lights are turning on, then you have either a bad cable, bad Ethernet port in your computer, or a bad router.

If the link lights are on at both ends, then you most likely have a Ethernet card configuration issue on your computer or a partially failed card (less likely).

If no link lights turn on, get another cable and another Ethernet device to troubleshoot.

Good Luck.

0 Likes