Hortensia1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It does not appear that the verizon's spam detector is working.  I have identified some items as spam and they are not identified when they come back.  My other email providers are much better in identifying and preventing spam.

Re: Spam
Velocity2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing the same issue.  I go to the settings and turn on the spam blocker but when I return to that settings page the span blocker is not shown as "on."  does it default to off when you return to the page?

Hortensia1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is shown as being on.

0 Likes
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon seemed to be having issues with their email settings tools a few days ago.  On some of my accounts you could not see whether On or Off was selected for a particular setting such as SpamDetector & I'd receive an error message that it "couldn't be determined".  Make a selection & Save, but when you returned the same result occurred.  On other accounts the setting worked, but a different setting had the same issue.  Today, they're all working, so maybe they corrected the issue.

0 Likes
antrim1912
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have noticed the same thing in the last month. This seems to happen periodically over the years and has been fixed in the past so I hope that someone at Verizon is reading this forum and taking it to heart. I have never had any spam issues in other e-mail accounts which is why I almost never use my Verizon e-mail. I get tired of marking messages as spam only to have them delivered again to my inbox. I have even reported them to Verizon's spamdetectornotcaught and get the automated reply but there is no improvement. I stopped forwarding the messages to them because there are so many that I don't want to waste my time. What I've seen when I view the details is that the spam sender seems to be using a "robo-addresser" so there is a stream of addresses that appear similar to mine (ie, namea@verizon.net, nameb@verison.net, and so on) and it eventually gets it right. Another method that I've seen when I view the details is that it says that the spam is addressed to the spammer and not my address (ie, to: getdrugs@xyz.com; from getdrugs@xyz.com) so I don't see how that would even come close to being delivered to my inbox. Today I got something in my inbox that said that it was from Verizon and I didn't dare trust it, thinking that it was phishing so I deleted it. It's a shame that it has come to this because if Verizon wants to send out a legitimate e-mail no one will trust them any more if they can't remedy the influx of spam in our inboxes.
JRTEMT
Contributor - Level 2

When I reported EMAIL problems regarding SPAM, callcenter rep said" Well EMAIL IS FREE so I can't credit you anything" ! REALLY???

If they don't recognize spam headers, I have lost all hope in my ISP. This may explain landline phonecalls from MYSELF at my home number! OMG BATMAN.

@Hortensia wrote:

It does not appear that the verizon's spam detector is working.  I have identified some items as spam and they are not identified when they come back.  My other email providers are much better in identifying and preventing spam.

0 Likes
antrim1912
Enthusiast - Level 2
I wonder why Verizon told you that "e-mail is free" as their excuse? What are we paying a monthly fee for then? I wonder if anyone from Verizon is reading this forum? Is customer satisfaction important or not?
0 Likes
baron94
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just finished with tech support on this very issue and never really had it solved.

So, what was my solution? I am going to set my Junk Mail filter on Outlook to high, and check it for mail I want to keep. I will probably still change my friends and family email over to a different ISP, just so I don't have to check as often. Oh, and of course, make sure that I have a rule in Outlook to forward any blocked email on to spamdetector.update@verizon.net, because we have to be part of the solution, not the problem.

0 Likes
baron94
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since my post has been edited, I would at least like to let Verizon customers know that a 3rd party software will be required to reduce SPAM, but that it never really fixes the issue, since The ISP fails to do the simple task of filtering OBVIOUS junk mail.

I suggest you use an alternate mail service if you don't have the time to constantly filter your own mail and then have to forward it to Verizon, with no results.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@baron94 wrote:

I just finished with tech support on this very issue and never really had it solved.

So, what was my solution? I am going to set my Junk Mail filter on Outlook to high, and check it for mail I want to keep. I will probably still change my friends and family email over to a different ISP, just so I don't have to check as often. Oh, and of course, make sure that I have a rule in Outlook to forward any blocked email on to spamdetector.update@verizon.net, because we have to be part of the solution, not the problem.

Please don't do that. The correct email address for messages that should have been caught but were not is spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net

The address you have there is for messages that were marked as spam that should not have been, meaning you will be telling them that the spam is not spam.