Subaccount Email not Working
RyDogg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Setup a subaccount today, turned on Email access for it, but any test emails to the account and they get bounced back with this error:

Server error: '550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias:  XXXXX@verizon.net

Any clues?  Is there another switch I have to hit in the primary account?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Subaccount Email not Working
RyDogg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I think I figured this out.  I remember that I did not give the subaccount access to email originally and had given it later. Hence why I think the alias never ended up working.  I removed the subaccount and recreated with a slightly different name and made sure this time to check the box for email access on the subaccount.

Created and email started immediately working.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

May just have to propagate to all the Verizon email servers.

kopcins

I am having the same problem.  How long does it take to resolve usually?

0 Likes
Flipp1

Ditto for me.  I created one yesterday and it is still kicking back.  Vaguely remember having this happen a couple years ago.  Sure would be nice if Verizon would mention delays in their setup instructions - assuming that is a normal problem

0 Likes
xterm1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm also having the same issue.  My main account is still using the Yahoo portal, I'm wondering if sub accounts fail to connect to the discontinued portal?????

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@RyDogg1 wrote:

Setup a subaccount today, turned on Email access for it, but any test emails to the account and they get bounced back with this error:

Server error: '550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias:  XXXXX@verizon.net

Any clues?  Is there another switch I have to hit in the primary account?

That definitely means that something didn't go through all the way. If it doesn't clear on its own within 24 hours, I would strongly advise giving Verizon a call and asking what is holding up their system.

As an aside, this will aslo happen if you have passed the 25 lifetime sub account limit. If that's the case, then you won't be able to create any more sub email accounts successfully.

0 Likes
xterm1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Continuing to resolve this puzzle I ran across this error message on the primary account when I was attempting to open a trouble ticket.

Account creation failed for the following reason:

Your primary account is configured to be a YAHOO! portal partner. We currently don't support Sub-Account creation for YAHOO! portal partner.

This was the only information on the page and there were not further suggestions or instructions.  There's no way in hell I'm going to give up my Yahoo! connection on my existing email accounts just so I can create a new sub account. This is ridiculous.

0 Likes
RyDogg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I think I figured this out.  I remember that I did not give the subaccount access to email originally and had given it later. Hence why I think the alias never ended up working.  I removed the subaccount and recreated with a slightly different name and made sure this time to check the box for email access on the subaccount.

Created and email started immediately working.  

0 Likes
mmerc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem and I DID click to have email access on the sub-account. No luck. I'll call Verizon, but I don't have time to wait for them to answer. Anyone have a link to another string like this?

Thanks

MM

0 Likes
flauthor

I had the same problem: added two new subs to my old five and it took five days for them to become active. Tried to set up on Outlook and smartphone with no success. Logged on to each of the new sub accounts.

When I sent test emails from Verizon web mail page logged in under the new subaccount names, I  discovered the email account names were not the subaccount names I had set up and logged in under, but new alphanumeric email addresses (Example - set up using myname@verizon.net and the email address came up assubbg2xx@verizon.net.)

I have old subaccounts that work as expected - account name and email address are the same. Any suggestions how to get the subaccount "real" names to work?

0 Likes