Thunderbird S/R problem with Firewall
SAHRHS
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello:

I have my TB 24.6.0 all set up, but it wont send or receive any messages unless the FireWall in my

Verizon DLS modem/router is set to low.  Is there any way to get around this? 

I took a look at the FW custom settings - I was thinking of creating a rule to allow my Verizon email to pass through.  But, I have know idea what the settings should be.

I have seen some other postes relating to a simular situation with email problems and the verizon DSL

modem - so, Im guessing my issues might be an ongoing problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbird S/R problem with Firewall
SAHRHS
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with a Verizon rep.  she did a screen sharing with me and

did confirm that I had already done the set up in Thunderbird with the correct settings - then she informed

me that as she was not familiar with Thunderbird, she cold not fiqure out why I was unable to send or receive.

Later in the evening, I did a chat session and found some rather disapointing informatiion - I was informed

that Verizon email does not usually work with Thunderbird with the FW set to high as it is a POP account.

The rep then said that modems do not work well with POP accounts - I informed her that for the past 3 years I have been using my Earthlink account which is also a POP account with no problems.  She then

changed her previous statement to say that it all depends on the modem.

She then asked if I wanted to speak with a Premium Tech support - I told her that I did not want to have to

pay for tech support and that I should not have to being that I was a Verizon DSL customer.

She also stated that Verizon suggests not to use Thunderbird as an email client as it will not work with a modem - I asked where it says that on the Verizon web site - she said it does'nt, then I asked - then where

is it that it is suggested - no reply came - I ended the chat session.

The rep. in the early phone call did not make any mention of this.  During the chat session I was also informed that I could use email with Outlook or Outlook Express and it would work with the modem with the FW set to high.   I told her I have a Mac and I was not going to pay  nearly $300 for the software to get Outlook - like she really cared.

So, it would seem that Verizon is working with Microsoft and supporting Outlook and nothing for Mac.

0 Likes