Thunderbird email client
NJKID
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have jumped through evey hoop presented to me and I still can't get Mozilla Thunderbird to communicate with my Verizon webmail server.  Checked all over the internet, have seen lots of chatter about this issue but frustratingly no real solutions.  And, of course, Verizon adamantly refuses to be involved with TB.  Help!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbird email client
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use Thunderbird with my Verizon.net email.  Here are the settings:

Server name: incoming.verizon.net

Port: 995

connection security: SSL/TLS

Authentication Method: Normal Password

The user name does not include "@verizon.net".  Eg, if my email was "someuser@verizon.net" my user name would be "someuser".

Outgoing is: outgoing.verizon.net

Port: 465

Same user and security settings.

Enjoy.

NJKID
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks gs0b....if memory serves this is one of the hoops I referred to....been there, done that!   However, I will revisit this and try again.  There was one of those fleeting moments when all of a sudden, I was able to download my messages (that was another nightmare, as I succeeded in getting about 1,500 archived messages transferred and then discoverd that they were NOT left on the Verizon server as requested) but never was able to send.  After many different fumblings around I uninstalled TB and reinstalled only to discover that I lost all those downloaded messages.

Then...and the path to this next horror story is lost to me....I found that I was able to send, but NOT receive.  What is driving this is that I have used Outlook Express for years and have a lot of archived stuff that I want to transfer to my new 8.1 Win PC which, of course, has no equivalent email client.  A lot of it is on the Verizon.server but I would hope that I could route the older stuff through that server...in other words, resend it to myself...and then capture it on TB.

Is there perhaps a more direct approach to this?

Thanks!!!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's been a while since I setup Thunderbird for Verizon.net.  As I recall, I simply entered my email address and Thunderbird consulted it's database of email provides to get the correct settings.  I don't think I had to tweak anything.

Thunderbird has an import function; but I'm not sure if it will read Outlook Express data files.  You might want to explore the Thunderbird documentation.

Resending email is a poor way to transfer data.

Have you tried googling for methods to transfer email databases from Outlook Express to Windows 8.1 mail client?  I doubt you're the only person with this problem.

Good Luck.

NJKID
Enthusiast - Level 2

gs0b   It's me again, after being tossed off another forum that they said I could not be on as I had already posted on this. Frankly, I forgot where I had posted originally so I randomly went to the Internet Forum, rather than Email Forum.  Whatever......

I had vented frustration over the endless back and forth conversations that I have seen numerous times about this TB/Verizon problem with no resolution.  A further web search led me to someone who said that a "workaround" was to forward to Gmail and then hook up with Verizon.  Believe it or not, I had that idea some time ago on my own as I have maintained a Gmail account as a backup to my email....everything that goes into Verizon gets forwarded to Gmail.  However, that got blocked also for some different reason that I now cannot recall.  

I just stumbled on another post that seems to hold some hope.  The poster reported much the same experience I have had and said that, by the grace of God, he found the answer.  I'm going to explore this one as I can sure use some Divine intervention.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note should be pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net.

I Have been using Thunderbird for 3 or 4 years on all my pc's.

There have been lots of other threads about what settings to use on thunderbird.  These are some of my settings

image.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, it's consider bad form to post the same question to multiple sub-forums, especially when an answer has been provided.

Verizon support won't help with setting up email clients like Thunderbird.  Your support options are to use a forum like this one, use online searches, or find a local computer person who can help you.

If you can't get it working, post back to this thread with more details about your settings.  Screen shots like TNS_2 provided are great, or you can use plain text.  Whatever you do, be sure to blank out any personal information such as your account name and passwords.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
Kayver

I also use Thunderbird to access my Verizon email. My settings are similar to the ones in other posts. I'm adding another possible issue that you might want to check:

When I had to update the port settings to support SSL, my email stopped working. The solution for me turned out to be the firewall settings in my Westell 7500 router. I had it set to maximum security. When I changed it to minimum security, Thunderbird email worked with the new settings.

0 Likes