Unable to send Outgoing Email from client (Thunderbird) - but webmail is no problem
Q-and-A
Enthusiast - Level 1

For the past several days I have been unable to send outgoing email from my email client (Thunderbird).  Incoming email is still being received without any problem.  Also, I can send email via the yahoo webmail interface for the account, but just not from my Thunderbird email client. 

When I attempt to send an email, Thunderbird indicates that the server connection has been made, and the email has been sent, but immediately a dialog box pops up that reads:

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  Transaction failed : Cannot send message due to possible abuse; please visit http://postmaster.yahoo.com/abuse_smtp.html for more information. Please check the message and try again."

The emails are not being received by the addressees, so it appears they are not being sent, even though the email appears in my sent file in Thurderbird.

I have attempted to go to the link identified in the dialog box, but it is a broken link and doesn't work.

I have also tried Verizon's online "Chat" helpdesk, and spent over an hour with a tech who was unable to diagnose the problem.

Can anyone figure out what is going on here and how to fix it?  I can't get through to a human being at Verizon.  Very frustrating.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to send Outgoing Email from client (Thunderbird) - but webmail is no problem
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Q-and-A,

The issue of Thunderbird users receiving this "Cannot send message due to possible abuse" error when sending through Yahoo is a current topic of discussion on the Thunderbird forums on MozillaZine.  It is not just you, and it is affecting Thunderbird users regardless of which internet service provider they are using.

View solution in original post

Re: Unable to send Outgoing Email from client (Thunderbird) - but webmail is no problem
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Q-and-A,

The issue of Thunderbird users receiving this "Cannot send message due to possible abuse" error when sending through Yahoo is a current topic of discussion on the Thunderbird forums on MozillaZine.  It is not just you, and it is affecting Thunderbird users regardless of which internet service provider they are using.

Q-and-A
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the heads up about MozillaZine.  I didn't think of looking there.  It does appear to be a problem with Thunderbird, and apparantly there is an unusual, but 100 percent effective workaround.  Deleting the "Reply to" address and retyping it manually will allow the email to be sent without error.  I have no idea why this works, but I just tried it, and it works.

For anyone else reading this thread and looking for more info on this problem, the corresponding article at MozillaZine (including info on the above workaround) can be found at:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2716679

Thanks!

0 Likes
gil6084

In Thuderbird. I have 3 Email accounts. To send an Email for another account (except for the default account) I addon Smtp Control

which allows me to send by the other 2 accounts

0 Likes