Upgrade Message
fredbon

I received this message on 1/9/16, when I followed the link, Microsoft security stated this is a physhing site.  Any info?

Dear Verizon User,
 This is an automatic message sent by our security system to let you know that you have 48 hours to confirm your account information.

The Classic version of Verizon Web Mail will be replaced by our new version on Friday, Febuary 13, 2016. So it's time to upgrade

Complete your upgrade...
Once you have finished upgrade you can immediately start sending emails. Your email service won't be affected and we restore all your old contacts, folders and messages. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thanks for choosing us!
Verizon Support Center.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade Message
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This is a confirmed phishing email.  It is included in the following list of known phishing scams:

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/announcements/phishing-scam-announcements

Phishing Scam email
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:40 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: Verizon Email Account Update

Dear Verizon User,

This is an automatic message sent by our security system to let you know that you have 48 hours to confirm your account information.

The Classic version of Verizon Web Mail will be replaced by our new version on Friday, December 18, 2015. So it's time to upgrade

View solution in original post

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This is a confirmed phishing email.  It is included in the following list of known phishing scams:

https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/announcements/phishing-scam-announcements

Phishing Scam email
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:40 AM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: Verizon Email Account Update

Dear Verizon User,

The Classic version of Verizon Web Mail will be replaced by our new version on Friday, December 18, 2015. So it's time to upgrade

0 Likes
schinfchin
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, this is definitely a phishing email. I get one or two of them a day for the past year. I have AOL, and the messages basically says the same thing, the account will be cancelled unless I click the link below to update. See:

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/advisories/verizon-phishing.pdf

Most companies have a abuse hotline, and for Verizon, its abuse@verizon.net. I receive similar emails supposedly from Chase, Wells Fargo among others. For Chase, its abuse@Chase.com, and for most companies, the format is abuse followed by @ and the company domain. Usually youll get an automated response telling you if its legit or not.

Most legit communications from corporate sender would reference the account number you have with them, your name etc. All my phishing emails starts with Dear AOL user, Dear Chase customer etc. AOL has an article on their website describing what an official communication from them looks like. Verizon should have one though I havent found it.

0 Likes