Verizon Asked Me To Change EMail Settings
diteter

I received email from Verizon asking me to make changes to my Outlook Express email application per the following links. 

If you only use MyVerizon to access your email account, no action is required and you may disregard this email.  If you do, however, use other applications to access your Verizon email, such as Outlook Express®, you will need to modify your email settings to take advantage of enhanced security we now offer. 

In order to make these modifications, please visit http://verizon.com/emailsettings for information about the  email settings you need to update.  Additional information may also be available by going to our online forum at http://forums.verizon.com/

This is what Verizon asked me to change to.

Before you begin:

You'll need the following email settings:

• Incoming mail server (POP3): incoming.verizon.net
  • Incoming Server Port Numbers: 995
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net
  • Outgoing Server Port Numbers: 465  Why is this important?
  • Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
  • For more email and remote access configuration options see Verizon Online Email Settings

These settings hosed my email.  I couldn't send or receive email and changed them back.  Could you please let me know what is going on?  I also ran the on line program to setup email and it didn't fix anything.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Asked Me To Change EMail Settings
lrizo

I received the same email. I couldn't find anything on this site that told me why or even how to change the settings. So I didn't change a thing. Did you find out anything?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

The why is to ensure your mail is sent securely.  If YOU are using Yahoo then the incoming and outgoing are different than shown (when making this change do not change the incoming and outgoing names just the ports and SSL indicator).  For all others it should work correctly.  There is a slight possibility you might have to increase the timeout value as well.

0 Likes
acpeabody

How Verizon can issue such a vague message like this one about eMail changes is beyond my comprehension!

My wife and I have eMail Verizon eMail accounts -  yet she got this eMail and I did not receive it! How come?

Which eMail programs does this change apply to? Is it ALL standalone eMail programs? Microsoft-based programs seemed to be the only examples mentioned. My wife and I both use Thunderbird - does this apply? When will these changes be implemented by Verizon?

If these changes to ports and SSL are not implemented by the user will all eMail sent/received be stopped after a specific date? 

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@acpeabody wrote:

How Verizon can issue such a vague message like this one about eMail changes is beyond my comprehension!

My wife and I have eMail Verizon eMail accounts -  yet she got this eMail and I did not receive it! How come?

Which eMail programs does this change apply to? Is it ALL standalone eMail programs? Microsoft-based programs seemed to be the only examples mentioned. My wife and I both use Thunderbird - does this apply? When will these changes be implemented by Verizon?

If these changes to ports and SSL are not implemented by the user will all eMail sent/received be stopped after a specific date? 

There is a great post by Justin with the Settings for Thunderbird.

cattluvver
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, I got my mail offline in Eudora as I have been. And I got the note about changing the port numbes. NOW I can't get any mail.. 

0 Likes
Cherie4
Enthusiast - Level 1

One can only assume the "when" to change the port settings is immediately.  However, I, like others, dutifully changed as requested in Outlook 2010 and couldn't even get a test message to go through.  I changed it back and have no problems.  So, Verizon, the question remains, WHEN does this take effect and as a followup, WHY doesn't it work in Outlook 2010 when your instructions are followed to the letter?

ErnieLane
Enthusiast - Level 2

My experience:

- The change for the incoming port doesn't work.  I can't download anything with it.  I went back to what I was using.

- The change for the outgoing port is fine.

0 Likes
kensylvia

OK, so once again, those of us who use MACs get left ou in the cold.  I simply use the mail software provided with the MAC.  I went into the setup, I went to advanced and I did see a port number.  However, it was prefilled with a nimber that was different than what was on the Verizon site and it didn't specify whether that port was incoming or outgoing.  SO, looking for someone who may know about how to set up the MAC.

0 Likes
wb6fly

I received the same e-mail, and I started to make the changes.  I am using Windows XP Professional, and I use Microsoft Outlook 2003 for my e-mail.

When I went to the instructions for upgrading Outlook 2003, I noticed that there was a lot of missing punctuation, and the word "click" was misspelled as "klick."

As instructed, I set the Outgoing Server (SMTP) from 587 to 465, I then checked the box for "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)."  As soon as I checked the box, the Outgoing Server number changed from 465 to 25.

I now worried that this was an elaborate scheme to hose up my e-mail, so I undid all of the changes and restored the original settings.  The sloppy instructions for upgrading Outlook 2003 were the tipoff- certainly not a professional piece of writing!

0 Likes