Verizon Chat customer support
rdunkleenr2d

Yesterday I started a Chat on the Verizon site concerning the *.info spam EMAILs I receive. The technician on the Verizon side of the chat wanted to remote intoo my computer but I told he couldn't since I was at work and not home. He then took my home phone number which is Verizon so tech support could call back when I was home.

I missed the call last night but they called this morning. I informed them that I had figured out a way, from a suggestion I was given on this forum, to hopefully filter out the spam. The caller ID said International which made me even more suspectious of the return call. Not that it was a customer suport that wasn't from the US BUT because there is a lot of hacking of computers that originates from outside the US.

My question now is it a standard proceedure for Verizon customer support to remote into a computer to fix a problem? I've had this done at work but only by local IT technicians but never at home. With all of the hacking going on I am not very confortable letting an unknown person remote into my personal computer.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Chat customer support
thisisnuts2017

I can't answer your question - but - I had the same experience. 

The person on the end of the phone at verizon support was clearly from India or something and wanted remote access to my computer to address their problem with email issues.  Of course I had my settings correct and knew it ....so  there was absolutely no reason for remote access so I declined it.

As of now, I don't know how many weeks - their email migration is still not working for me - with my correct settings.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They have always have wanted to remote into my computer, something I usually refuse.  They still are suppose to continue help even if you refuse. 

You could definitely right a rule on there website for *.info on AOL.com and one for info (which may be a little to broad on the older verizon site.  With the actual servers now being AOL its not clear if the existing Verizon rules are in place until you they complete your migration to AOL. 

0 Likes
rdunkleenr2d

Well I started filtering any EMAIL from a *.info address with the subject line. It seems to have started to slow down the EMAILs some what. The only problem is on my daughter's account I reached my limit of filters. Using the *.info in the blocking option doesn't work. I receive an errorr for an unrecognized EMAIL address. So I tried it in the filter option. It accepted the *.info EMAIL address to filter the "from" option. So I was able to add it both of oour EMAIL account filters.

So we'll see what happens now.

0 Likes
bch_boy

Hi rdunkleenr2d -

Craig here, I have had Verizon agent take over my pc several times in the past. Since you

generated/started the Chat on your end then you should have a good feeling the agent

is from Verizon. Even with the caller id - I would not be too worried about it. You gave

the agent your telephone, so again you are the one generating the call.

One thing I just remembered when I did it in the past, the agent gave me a problem/troubleshooting number, case number. Maybe verify that number with the agent allowing them to give that number to you. I hope you were able to get that number through your chat? That would be the only way (for me) to verify it is a genuine employee at Verizon.

One thing for me though is I am deaf (bi-lateral hearing loss) and cannot use a regular "hearing" telephone, so I really had to do it all on-line with the agent. I would not be too suspicious. I know how frustrating it can be. I hope this helps and hope your day goes better.  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Frustrated  Smiley Happy 

0 Likes