Verizon SMTP SSL Requirement vs. .NET Applications
BigJim21
Enthusiast - Level 2

In attempting to insure that all of my "verizon.net" connections comply with the requirement to use SSL on the "smtp.verizon.net" server, I have determined that any application using the .NET function System.Net.Mail can not be conformed to comply with the requested configuration.

The .NET issue is documented in a large number of places on the Web, but this article probably describes it best:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdav_101/archive/2008/06/02/system-net-mail-with-ssl-to-authenticate-again...

I am interested in what provisions Verizon has made to allow System.Net.Mail applications to communicate with Verizon mail servers.

Has anyone else solved this problem short of re-programming their application?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon SMTP SSL Requirement vs. .NET Applications
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

From a quick read of the blog you ref'd, it appears that only Windows Mail uses System.Net.Mail and would have a problem with the new Verizon email servers/security settings. From a quick browser search--I'd never heard of system.net.mail before--it appears to be a Microsoft-only approach so it doesn't surprise me that there are going to be problems since Microsoft tends to create its own problems by not writing their code to be flexible--that is, acknowledging that the rest of the world might not use Microsoft's way of doing things...'-}}

Am I incorrect in thinking that only Windows Mail is affected?

My guess is that you are not going to get an answer in this forum from the Verizon Tech-Powers-That-Be about this issue given the lack of responsiveness from Verizon over the fiasco of their recent email servers/security setting changes--I have yet to receive the fabled email that others have outlining these changes and only discovered the issue when I was unable to send email from Eudora and a day later, from Thunderbird and I find it very weird, that my sister who lives next door to me is still using the "old" email servers/security settings successfully in Thunderbird...

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Microsofts .net has nothing to do with accessing Verizon smtp.  And accessing microsoft .net applications, including any email at Microsoft sites that might use .net is not effected by Verizon's change.

Not sure what clients might be based on the .net option described.  Outlook is discussed but is known to work fine with Verizon changes.

0 Likes
BigJim21
Enthusiast - Level 2

tlb wrote (in part):

Am I incorrect in thinking that only Windows Mail is affected?

My guess is that you are not going to get an answer in this forum from the Verizon Tech-Powers-That-Be about this issue given the lack of responsiveness from Verizon over the fiasco of their recent email servers/security setting changes

That is apparently incorrect.  Any developer's application that uses the .NET routines will encounter the Implicit vs. Explicit SSL issue.

I am personally experiencing the problem with an application named Depiction.  It is a specialized GIS product developed using .NET and being used extensively in the emergency and disaster planning arena.

It is clear that Verizon has not addresses the issue here so far, and I expect you are correct that the level of problems are forcing them to allow the old services to available for the interim.  In the long run, this is a killer issue.

Looking at the other response, unfortunately we are once again hearing from the experts that don't know what they are talking about.

I continue to look for Verizon to provide a solution to this roadblock.

0 Likes
tlb7
Contributor - Level 3

>>bigjim2: I am personally experiencing the problem with an application named Depiction.  It is a specialized GIS product developed using .NET and being used extensively in the emergency and disaster planning arena.

Wow! That's pretty scary...

>>bigjim2: I continue to look for Verizon to provide a solution to this roadblock.

I don't think you are going to find it in this forum particularly since it is for "residential" customers. You might have been luck on the business side forum(s)--my guess is that they exist--or somehow escalate it at the corporate level (LOL!!! Yeah right!)...

Good luck...

0 Likes
BigJim21
Enthusiast - Level 2

Refreshing this item since Verizon has not responded.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a peer to peer forum.  Verizon is unlikely to respond here.