Verizon email; Thunderbird client; Not working since 3/25/2013;server name change
billreith
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yesterday, 3/25/2013, I noticed that email wasn't working from my thunderbird client. After a day of assuming that the problem existed elsewhere, I found on this site where it says to use POP.VERIZON.NET, port 995, and SMTP.VERIZON.NET, port 465.  After grumbling why didn't I hear about this name change?, I changed them. At that time I noticed that the PORTS were wrong, too.  They'd been right, and now, not.  Most confusing.  I changed them.  Each account has CONNECTION SECURITY SSL/TLS and NORMAL PASSWORD.

But: when I try to connect, I get:  An error occurred during a connection to pop.verizon.net:995.  You have received an invalid certificate.....Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority.  Please get a new certificate...."

I am at a loss.  What's wrong, other than that email seems to be choking on security?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon email; Thunderbird client; Not working since 3/25/2013;server name change
billreith
Enthusiast - Level 1

Found in another post where a person said the INCOMING.VERIZON.NET and OUTGOING.VERIZON.NET did still work, so I tried it, but still got that Certificate error.  Found someone else who said they had to say 'no connection security' before it would work, and so I tried that -- and it did.

Not thrilled about this, but the client is working again.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Verizon email; Thunderbird client; Not working since 3/25/2013;server name change
billreith
Enthusiast - Level 1

Found in another post where a person said the INCOMING.VERIZON.NET and OUTGOING.VERIZON.NET did still work, so I tried it, but still got that Certificate error.  Found someone else who said they had to say 'no connection security' before it would work, and so I tried that -- and it did.

Not thrilled about this, but the client is working again.  

0 Likes
BobAiello

last night their support (via chat) told me that email was down in my area. I was able to receive some email after that and now that is down again. Support via chat is not responding. 

Verizon is truly challenged.

0 Likes