Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Verizon email; Thunderbird client; Not working since 3/25/2013;server name change
billreith
Enthusiast

Yesterday, 3/25/2013, I noticed that email wasn't working from my thunderbird client. After a day of assuming that the problem existed elsewhere, I found on this site where it says to use POP.VERIZON.NET, port 995, and SMTP.VERIZON.NET, port 465.  After grumbling why didn't I hear about this name change?, I changed them. At that time I noticed that the PORTS were wrong, too.  They'd been right, and now, not.  Most confusing.  I changed them.  Each account has CONNECTION SECURITY SSL/TLS and NORMAL PASSWORD.

But: when I try to connect, I get:  An error occurred during a connection to pop.verizon.net:995.  You have received an invalid certificate.....Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority.  Please get a new certificate...."

I am at a loss.  What's wrong, other than that email seems to be choking on security?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon email; Thunderbird client; Not working since 3/25/2013;server name change
billreith
Enthusiast

Found in another post where a person said the INCOMING.VERIZON.NET and OUTGOING.VERIZON.NET did still work, so I tried it, but still got that Certificate error.  Found someone else who said they had to say 'no connection security' before it would work, and so I tried that -- and it did.

Not thrilled about this, but the client is working again.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Verizon email; Thunderbird client; Not working since 3/25/2013;server name change
billreith
Enthusiast

Found in another post where a person said the INCOMING.VERIZON.NET and OUTGOING.VERIZON.NET did still work, so I tried it, but still got that Certificate error.  Found someone else who said they had to say 'no connection security' before it would work, and so I tried that -- and it did.

Not thrilled about this, but the client is working again.  

0 Likes
BobAiello

last night their support (via chat) told me that email was down in my area. I was able to receive some email after that and now that is down again. Support via chat is not responding. 

Verizon is truly challenged.

0 Likes