Way too much spam
Omega888
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spend half of my time in Windows Live Mail (Windows 7) marking spam.

Is anyone else having this problem, and is there a solution?  (p.s. spam detector is ON)

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Way too much spam
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pretty much only solution is to switch your EMAIL name.  

I have two accounts,  one very old email name originally used with dial up, later DSL, and now FIOS.  It gets lots of spam.  I have a newer one associated with my move to Florida in January, it has only gotten one spam message to date.

So it depends on where you use your userid and over time how many Spammers locate your id.  Once spammers locate an ID they love to pass them around.

One common suggestion is to take advantage of Verizons option to have multiple email accounts.  Don't use your primary except with the most trusted people.  Use a secondary account for most users, and be prepared to shut it down Keep a list of who you want to really have it in case you are forced to close the account.  Some even use a few of these email names, giving different ones to people passed on level of trust.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have two accounts,  one very old email name originally used with dial up, later DSL, and now FIOS.  It gets lots of spam.  I have a newer one associated with my move to Florida in January, it has only gotten one spam message to date.

So it depends on where you use your userid and over time how many Spammers locate your id.  Once spammers locate an ID they love to pass them around.

One common suggestion is to take advantage of Verizons option to have multiple email accounts.  Don't use your primary except with the most trusted people.  Use a secondary account for most users, and be prepared to shut it down Keep a list of who you want to really have it in case you are forced to close the account.  Some even use a few of these email names, giving different ones to people passed on level of trust.

PJL
Master - Level 3

@Omega888 wrote:

I spend half of my time in Windows Live Mail (Windows 7) marking spam.

Is anyone else having this problem, and is there a solution?  (p.s. spam detector is ON)

Thanks for your help!

I get maybe one spam email per month, so it's likely that your email address is on a spam list that is being widely used because Verizon spam filter seems to work very well for me.  Your address is spam-compromised.  FYI if you every tried to unsubscribe to a spam email, you actually validated your email address to the spammer so they know it's a good address.  And they sell that good address to other spammers and you get even more spam.

0 Likes
Omega888
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your very informative post!

My email address IS an old one, I guess that is the problem.

0 Likes
kaytabor30
Enthusiast - Level 3
Silver Contributor II
TNS_2

Re: Way too much spam [ New ]

tns_2   This does not sound like a very good way to control spam.If you surf the web on any name the spammers

are gonna get your email address.If you get a decent third party email client like windows mail,windows live or a newer version of outlook and setup your contact list then setup the safe list (tools>safe options )then the safe list tab

then use safe list option and delete junk mail you can control the spam.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kaytabor30 wrote:
Silver Contributor II

tns_2   This does not sound like a very good way to control spam.If you surf the web on any name the spammers

are gonna get your email address.If you get a decent third party email client like windows mail,windows live or a newer version of outlook and setup your contact list then setup the safe list (tools>safe options )then the safe list tab

My browsers do not allow my email id to be automatically entered, in fact its not available to them.  Yes I have tools active to block its entry.

However every so often you do enter your email id manually, perhaps to a site you want to signup  for, or a company you think you want to do business with.  Unfortunately sometimes the site is not as reliable or has lousy security,  We all have heard stories of all user info on major company sites being compromised. 

Sometimes I have relatives and friends that love to foward things to everyone they know.  They never remember to use BCC and sometimes are even forwarding nice Virus infected items.  Just another way for my email to get to spammers.

One way or another your emails eventually are compromised.  And so my suggest to use alternate email ids that once compromised you can abandon.

0 Likes
Omega888
Enthusiast - Level 3

@kaytabor30 wrote:
Silver Contributor II

tns_2, just changed settings in windows live mail...we'll see what happens.

0 Likes