cannot connect to webmail, or popmail
cbreeze2

This problem began about 2/11/15. I didn't notice it right away because access from work is working fine. Access from home is the problem.

We have had the same setup, FIOS, modem/router/coputers for at keast 2 years. No changes have been made. I still use eudora on my computer, my wife uses incredimail on hers. Both of us have the same exact problem.

From the email client all attempts to rec or send mail return a "cannot connect to server" response.

I can access the verizon web site with firefox, scroll to the bottom and select check mail, and the page times out. Entering the address webmail.verizon.net also times out with a page saying auth.verizon.net has timed out.

On any and all verizon web pages that have any kind of sign in button, I cannot get it to work. It usually comes up with a blank box, or nothing at all.

I have tried firefox and iexplorer.

On Sunday, a Verizon tech spent about an hour on my computer, installed chrome with the same result, reset the router and the fios box on the outside of the house. He tried pings to webmail.verizon.net and they timed out. He finally said it must be on their end. This morning I contacted them from work because it still wasn't working at home. They wanted to run me through all of the same steps the first tech did on Sunday.

I have tried using an alternate DNS with no luck.

*Everything* else works. My non Verizon email works, all web sites work including secure sites. If anyone has a clue please advise. I don't know what else to do except spend another hour with the Verizon guys and feel we are getting no where.

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: cannot connect to webmail, or popmail
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

@cbreeze wrote:

On any and all verizon web pages that have any kind of sign in button, I cannot get it to work. It usually comes up with a blank box, or nothing at all.

Hi cbreeze,

Just to clarify, are you saying that the issue is not limited to email, but that you cannot sign into your Residential account at all?

0 Likes
cbreeze2

I read your post when I got home last night but could not reply. When I click the reply button the page timed out with the message:

The connection has timed out
The server at signin.verizon.com is taking too long to respond.

To answer your question, yes. I cannot access my account or anything requiring a "sign in" on the Verizon site. When I go to verizon.net and click the sign in button at the upper right, a blank box, about 3 inches drops down with a dotted outline and completely blank inside.

I also did a trace to pop.verizon.net and will post the results. I am not that savey with this stuff so I'm not sure what it means but I believe it shows I cannot connect to it.

Tracing route to pop.verizon.net [206.46.232.132]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms Wireless_Broadband_Router.home [192.168.1.1]
2 30 ms 32 ms 29 ms L100.NYCMNY-VFTTP-229.verizon-gni.net [74.101.23
.1]
3 9 ms 7 ms 13 ms G101-0-0-19.NYCMNY-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.4
1.211.210]
4 9 ms 16 ms 9 ms so-3-1-0-0.NY5030-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.8
1.199.12]
5 31 ms 11 ms 9 ms 0.xe-1-3-1.XL2.EWR19.ALTER.NET [152.63.6.173]
6 13 ms 9 ms 10 ms 80.xe-11-0-0.SA2.EWR19.ALTER.NET [152.63.24.190]

7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.

ditto 10 thru 27

28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

I dusted off a laptop I haven't used in 5 months, fired it up and immediately went to the verizon site and the sign in timed out. Email also did not work. My home computers use Win 7 Pro, but the laptop is Win XP sp3.

It has been almost a week now that we have not had email service at home and no one at verizon takes this seriously, only wanting to get on my computer, which I did cooperate with, and they found nothing wrong. But there the support stops. I've been a Verizon DSL/Fios customer probably 15 years, but there are alternative services available that work. This is getting frustrating.

Thank you.

0 Likes
cbreeze2

P.S.

I was sent a ticket number on Sunday:

02/15/2015 09:02 AM
Ticket Number:{edited for privacy}

However, when here at work I logged into verizon.com/managerepair, it said there are no open tickets.

Thanks to anyone that can suggest a next step. I was thinking of removing the power from the fios box and the router and restarting them (the tech on Sunday did a reset). Could the issue have anything to do with the IP Verizon assigned to me? My service is dynamic, but I notice keeping the same IP sometimes for a week or two before it changes. Will restarting the equipment cause me to receive a new IP? May have nothing to do with it anyway, I'm just guessing.

Is phone support a better alternative than the "chat" support I have been using?

Thanks!

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hopefully Verizon is not blocking their own IP's from accessing their email or other Verizon sites.  Most people having that kind of problem are either not accessing from a Verizon supported home/work location or accessing some other site which has blacklisted some Verizon assigned ip's.

You might be able to get a new ip by powering down for 20 minutes or so, but then again you might not.  IF FIOS I think you have to power down the ONT.

You didn't mention if you had changed the email settings as documented in http://verizon.com/emailsettings to point to pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net.  I think they fixed the Eudora problem which was requiring users to edit some eudora settings in a file, but if not search for the Eudora problem discussion  thread in this forum.  Not familiar with incredimail.

Webmail problems might require you flush your browser cookies.  In some cases you might have to disable some addons to see if they are causing a problem.  

Make sure TLS is supported (Some discussion of SSLV3 fall back being disabled because of Poodle attacks).

0 Likes