I'm reaching here but I wonder if AOL, Yahoo or whoever has started to implement NIST password standards.
The latest National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) guidelines (set forth in NIST SP 800-63B) contain the following password requirements:
- Passwords must be a minimum of eight (8) characters in length, and a maximum length of at least 64 characters.
- Passwords may contain special characters (i.e., “!”, “@”), but use of special characters is not required. Indeed, some Internet services reject passwords with special characters.
- Passwords may contain spaces, but use of passwords with spaces is not required. Again, some services reject or prohibit passwords with spaces.
- Passwords should not contain the following:
- Passwords obtained from previous security breaches should not be used.
With no real help from Verizon, AOL or Yahoo, something that actually works for most users, think I will give it a try.
Password changed, webmail still works. Email client, still no change (does not work) but I'll give their system a little time.
Back to working on the PC with Thunderbird mail client and on my Android phone.
Before I got back to the settings about, which are the same settings I started with i did;
In Thunderbird, set connection security to start/TLS
Created the AOL 3rd party app password
Then used the new password in Thunderbird, then I could login an get mail but could not send.
Change all my Thunderbird settings back to the original settings as shown above, used the AOL 3rd party app password and I can now send and receive email.
For my phone, I used the AOL 3rd party password for in and out going and now my phone is back to working.
After all that, I believe the AOl 3rd party password is the key.
What a pain.
The app password did it for me. It took me a while to figure out what that meant. It is in the settings of the aol account under account security, scroll to the bottom and generate the password, then copy it into email settings on your desktop. You have to do the same on your phone - use your web browser to login to aol, go into your account settings, etc. but my email is back!!
I did notice I had to login to AOL using my e-mail account that was having the issue, not the main AOL account. This is where the 3rd party password was created and used in my 3rd party mail clients on my PC and phone.
I noticed you had changed from POP to IMAP to get your emails to work. My laptop is set for IMAP and my desktop is set to POP. Both stopped receiving on March 28th at 9:44 PM. Same last email on both computers were the same.
This whole situation is beyond rediculous.
My smartphone and two Microsoft Surface units are set for imap and they haven't had any access issues for quite a while. 🙂
Spam emails being sent to my verizon.net account....that's another story. 😠