outgoing mail
Tom9950

I tried to reply to an email from my verizon email address and got a message that : 

The sender address {edited for privacy} was rejected by the server outgoing.verizon.net.

What is the problem?

0 Likes
Re: outgoing mail
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Tom9950 wrote:

I tried to reply to an email from my verizon email address and got a message that : 

The sender address ... was rejected by ... outgoing.verizon.net ... What is the problem?

First, what is meant by "I tried to reply to an email from my verizon email address"?  Did you in fact get an email message from your own address (which of course is quite possible), or do you instead mean that you tried to use your regular email address to make a reply?

If that's the case, then check your settings for errors or misspelled addresses.  All servers will kick such messages off the system and return errors unless all your "stuff" matches up exactly.

0 Likes
Re: outgoing mail
Another_user1

This is an old post, but the solution is cryptic and was hard to find.

Windows Live Mail reports: "The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address."

This is because Verizon will not send emails unless the return address is known to the system.

I have an older account that apparently still needs to use 'outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net' as the SMTP server. YMMV.

The way to tell the system to recognize an email address is to access account settings in Yahoo, not Verizon.

One way to get there (today, maybe not later when something else becomes 'new and improved'):

1. Go to 'Manage your profile settings'
  2. Click on 'Email forwarding'
  3. This loads a screen from yahoo.com that will already be logged in.
  4. Click the gear right corner, which means 'menu' in some hyroglyphic language.
  5. Click 'Settings' in the pulldown menu that appears
  6. Click 'Accounts' on the left side of the screen.

If you have previously set up other known email addresses, they will be listed here.
Click 'Add' and enter the information needed so the sender will be recognized when sending future emails.

Whew! Why was that so hard?!

0 Likes