"Classic" Email - unable to "reply" or "forward"
CJK4

Beginning around January 12th, I have been having a hard time "replying" or "forwarding" an email using the "Classic" email.  It takes FOREVER and often locks up my computer.  The message it gives (eventually) is  "a script is running" which will slow down my computer or make it unresponsive.  This is happening to both my home computer and laptop - each with a different software system.  I don't seem to have the problem using the "MyVerizon" email.  I do like using the classic email though.

0 Likes
Re: "Classic" Email - unable to "reply" or "forward"
Hubo_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

Hi CJK,

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your classic mail.  I have tried to emulate the trouble with a few accounts here, however I am getting normal operation on our end.  Have you tried any other browsers such as Firefox or Google Chrome?  (Assuming you are using Internet Explorer)  Since you are getting "a script is running" message, what you can try to do is to make sure you have the latest version of Java installed on your computer.  If you head to www.java.com this will point you towards the download to install the latest version of Java.  The fact that it is happening on both machines is a bit odd, however this software component that our webmail uses may be out of date on both machines.

--James

0 Likes
SteveY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having exactly the same problem!  My wife's email account (on the same machine) is also having this problem.

It might be one of the advertisements that is trying to display.

0 Likes
JST1

I'm having the same problem and it started about the same time.  Every time I try to reply, delete, or forward (basically use any of the buttons on the web mail - the bottom of IE 8 window reads:  http://webmail.verizon.com/netmail/driver?nimlet=showcanvas# ... eventually an IE message pops up that says "Stop running this script?  A script on this page is causing IE to run slowly.  If it continues to run, your computer might become unresponsive".  Behind this message is a webmail message saying "Warning  Please validate your information and try again".

Interesting enough, Verizon web mail works perfectly fine on the same computer under my husband's session.  Control panel reflects both sessions are using Java Ver 6 Update 7.

Other ideas?

0 Likes
SteveY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I made the mistake of switching from Basic to Rich format and now I can't switch back to basic and virtually everything I do has the script error mentioned above.

Plus I now get the same url in the bottom of the screen when this happens:

http://webmail.verizon.com/netmail/driver?nimlet=s​howcanvas#

Email is almost unusable at this point. I suspect there are quite a few people with this problem. 

Please fix this.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try the below steps first. 

• Try a 2nd Browser like Google Chrome or Firefox (possible browser issue can be identified by testing in a 2nd browser)
  • Test it from a 2nd machine like a laptop, friends or work computer
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

What anti-virus products are folks experiencing this using?   I don't like recommending this, but is anyone have the issue comfortable enough with temporarily disabling their A/V product and testing access to the email?   I've seen this behavior with some A/V products -- has to do with some malware scanning feature screwing things up.     Remember to re-enable your A/V immediately after testing to remain safe.

0 Likes
Chudbuster

I started experiencing this problem about a week ago too.  After downloading the latest Java update, I cleared the cache.  Both of these steps didn't help.

Only after running IE with add-ons disabled was I able to reply to and forward emails.  My follow-up questions are:

1.  Why did this start happening all of a sudden to so many people?

2.  How do I identify the culprit add-on?

3.  How will permanently disabling or removing the add-on affect the rest of my browser functionality?

0 Likes
SteveY1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's McAfee SiteAdvisor BHO!

This is an add-on to Explorer.  I disabled it, closed down Explorer, restarted explorer and email worked fine.

I then enabled it, restarted Explorer and email had the script problem again.

I tested it twice for good measure.  Please be sure to close down and reopen Explorer or the script

problem will still occur.

Using Google Chrome also works.

Maybe McAfee can look into this?

jjjeff
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just bought a new netbook and could not forward or reply. Java was not installed on it. I installed java and all works fine. Thanks, Jim