noreenjs

LATELY I HAVE BEEN GETTING ALOT OF SPAM.  THESE E-MAILS TAKE DAYS TO BE HANDLED.

0 Likes
Re: spam
Lee_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

SPAM plagues us all and believe me it's a constant battle as the spammers find ways around the filters. The most important thing to check starting off is to go to your email account's settings and ensure your spam filter is still enabled. The other key part that can aid Verizon is to report spam that has made it through to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net. The below link has more information on the subject.

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/email/security/questionsone/85713.htm

Lee_vz
Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

also, try to use best practices when using email on the internet.

1. You should start reporting the spam with a spam button in the webmail client
  2. Forward spam emails that were not caught to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net
  3. Set your e-mail filter. An e-mail filter and spam blocking software are absolutely critical. Set these security measures to update automatically to ensure that you are protected from the latest threats.
  4. NEVER reply to spam. Replying to spam, even to "unsubscribe," could set you up for more spam.
  5. Protect your e-mail address and instant message ID. If you must post this information online, set up two identities, one for real use and one for online activities.
  6. Be wary of e-mail attachments. Change the settings on your e-mail program so that images and attachments are not opened automatically. Only open attachments from users known to you.
  7. Watch out for phishing scams. Don't click on links in e-mails or instant messages unless the sender is known to you. Instead, open a separate web browser and visit the site directly.
  8. Create smart and strong passwords. Use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols.
  9. Never enter your personal information in a pop-up window. You may not be able to tell when a scammer has hijacked a seemingly legitimate site.
  10. Don't fill out online surveys, or register for contests or fan clubs. These may be fronts for spammers trying to collect your e-mail address
noreenjs

TWO MORE TODAY AND ALL YAHOO.  AM ALWAYS REPORTING SPAM.

0 Likes
noreenjs

AM A MAC USER AND THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE VERIZON MADE CHANGES.  REALLY UPSET ABOUT THIS.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

only if multiple users report an address as spam will it be treated as such by the filter.  so the more people that get it and mark it as spam the better, but if it's just you - you probably won't see results.

Also start slowly adding them to your blocked senders list, that way you won't ever see them again unless the person changes their email addresses, which happens from time to time.

The Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov) is supposed to help you eliminate spam mails. Forward spam to: spam@uce.gov, in the subject line enter something like "unsubscribe link results in more spam", "unwanted spam message", "no unsubscribe link" or something similar.

When the FTC gets your mail, they will look into the matter and when they find out who the spamming source is, they will take legal actions.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/sp…

Try mailwahser, it's free and works really good

http://www.mailwasher.net/download-mailwasher-free

I don't believe you can stop ALLLLLL spam, but you can help to put a big dent in it following the above info

Ron888
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spam Detector used to work pretty well for me, but starting a month or two ago it became almost useless,  So far this weekend about 70 spams got through, all obvious ones that got caught by Outlook.  Often I get multiple copies of the same spam and it catches one and lets the others through.  I wonder if Verizon recently made some changes that caused Spam Detector to stop working.

0 Likes
freeisforme

Over the last few months I've been getting more and more spam, the same messages, each from different sources.

Block one and the next email comes from a new address.

Today I got 66 spam emails so far to three of my 7 email accounts on Verizon Yahoo.

Something I noticed is that the spam follows me logging into Verizon Yahoo online.

My two main emails addresses get checked constantly, I use Outlook Express to download and check all email.

I hadn't checked my third email in a month, and had never gotten any spam there, yet 10 minutes after signing in online to check that account, it too started to get the same emails.
I find that if I don't log into a particular account for say a week or more, the span to that account tails off.

Today I logged into one of my accounts online which I hadn't done in a year, and it too now has begun getting the same spam emails.

The spammers somehow seem to know what email accounts are most active.
All of my email accounts are downloaded daily by Outlook Express. Its only when I log in online to each account the spam starts.

The emails are all the same, the adds are for about 8 different items and come twice a day.

Some get caught by the spam filter online, others get through, I've tried blocking the sending addresses but the sender is never the same. I need to be able to block by keywords in the title.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Interesting - 

Found this from Verizon's website

Spam Filter 

If you have an e-mail address, you have spam. It's justGG that simple. Spam refers to any unwanted e-mail, but it is usually a form of advertising. Why do you get so much spam? Because spam is so cheap to send that one response out of 100,000 is considered a marketing success. You won't completely eliminate spam but you can drastically reduce it.

Spam-stopping hints: 
Spam filtering software is an invaluable tool, but no spam filter can stop every unwanted message. Here are a few things you can do to help reduce spam in your inbox:

- Be careful about disclosing your e-mail address. Spammers use programs that search chat rooms, Internet sites, newsgroups - anywhere e-mail addresses can be found-and use that information to compile their mailing lists.
- Set up an e-mail address just for use with Internet transactions-and keep your real address private. Verizon Online allows customers to easily create additional e-mail sub-accounts without opening an entirely new account.
- Share your primary e-mail address only with people you know.
- When including your e-mail address in online profiles or on a personal website, disguise your e-mail address by writing it in "plain English" e.g.'Alice at Verizon dot net '. That way, your address is still intelligible by humans but not by e-mail gathering software.
- Beware of pre-checked boxes when registering for online services or shopping indicating you will "accept" e-mails from that organization. Uncheck those boxes if you prefer not to receive that organization's messages.

Verizon Online Solutions Available to You:
If you use a Verizon Online e-mail address, you have a powerful spam filter working for you automatically. If you want to change or disable the spam filter, simply:
- Login to Verizon netmail
- Select "Options" from the menu on the left of the page
- Select "Mail Filters," (on the upper right of the options window)
- Use the easy tools to set the level of spam protection right for you 

Login to Verizon Online E-Mail now

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you can block by keywords if you go to webmail > settings > and then email settings.  

there are filter rules. 

0 Likes