spamdetector frustration
craftyhans

I keep getting an email I am forwarding to my wife's email address rejected by Verizon as spam. The email I get back from Verizon has a link to a web page with instructions as to what to do, which I follow religiously and dutifully wait more than an hour to resend the supposedly spam email to my wife's email address. I have done this several times in the past 24 hours, but I am still get the same error email telling me that the message I am trying to send is spam - when it is clearly not - and is one I want my wife to have so she can make the appropriate travel arrangements for us (from her computer). This behavior on Verizon's part is very annoying and amounts to denial of service, as far as I am concerned. I have been on a chat session with Verizon tech support and they did not resolve the problem. The email is still being rejected as spam. And there doesn't seem to be any place to complain about this service problem to Verizon, short of using snail mail, other than this forum or taking out my frustration on the poor tech support person on the chat support line - who can't seem to do anything about the problem anyway. I realize that Verizon goes to great lengths to automate customer support to save costs and provide consistent and accurate response to customers for most common problems they might encounter. But these measures also insulate Verizon from the very unhappy experiences that customers have in trying to use these services to correct problems that they are encountering with Verizon services. {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: spamdetector frustration
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@craftyhans wrote:
I keep getting an email I am forwarding to my wife's email address rejected by Verizon as spam. The email I get back from Verizon has a link to a web page with instructions as to what to do, which I follow religiously and dutifully wait more than an hour to resend the supposedly spam email to my wife's email address. I have done this several times in the past 24 hours, but I am still get the same error email telling me that the message I am trying to send is spam - when it is clearly not - and is one I want my wife to have so she can make the appropriate travel arrangements for us (from her computer). This behavior on Verizon's part is very annoying and amounts to denial of service, as far as I am concerned. I have been on a chat session with Verizon tech support and they did not resolve the problem. The email is still being rejected as spam. And there doesn't seem to be any place to complain about this service problem to Verizon, short of using snail mail, other than this forum or taking out my frustration on the poor tech support person on the chat support line - who can't seem to do anything about the problem anyway. I realize that Verizon goes to great lengths to automate customer support to save costs and provide consistent and accurate response to customers for most common problems they might encounter. But these measures also insulate Verizon from the very unhappy experiences that customers have in trying to use these services to correct problems that they are encountering with Verizon services. {edited for privacy}

The outbound spam filter seems to be more picky than the incoming one. Getting it updated is a shot in the dark as well, since they won't send any kind of a follow up after the message is reviewed.

Some troubleshooting steps you can try:
If you have a signature, try removing one line at a time from it and attempting to send the message again. Some signatures look like "ads" to the filters, apparently.

If you are using a pop3 client (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.) try sending your message from the verizon.net website. If this resolves the issue, then it is something that your client is adding to the message that is causing it to be blocked.

If the Subject line of your message has a whole bunch of "Fwd: Fwd: Re: Fwd:" try removing some of them.

Remove any links/URLs from the email one at a time to isolate if one of them is causing the block.

Some people have suggested sending the message to check@isnotspam.com for investigation. This may work for you as well.

0 Likes
Re: spamdetector frustration
craftyhans
Thank you for the suggestions as to how to get the email past the spam detector. I guess I am not in the mood to spend time to do diagnostic procedures in order to do basic email functionality that I thought I was paying for as a service from Verizon. The whole point of my post is to express dissatisfaction with Verizon's service and with their apparent policy on spam. I understand that dealing with spam is a difficult problem for Verizon. But I also believe that me sending a single email to one other email address is hardly cause for rejecting the email as spam, regardless of whatever content filter criteria one might use. I send maybe an average of 3 or 4 outgoing emails a day - hardly a big source of spam if they were all spam, and which they are not. A content signature should not be the only criteria used to detect/filter spam. Who is sending, how often, and to whom should also be factors that are considered. Verizon needs to try harder to fix this denial of service problem, in my opinion. And they need to provide feedback to their customers and give at least the appearance of listening to their customers.
0 Likes