stopping spam email
dms8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi: Trying to stop unwanted spam emails from popping up every day. When I try to click spam button to turn on and activate, I will always find it in the off mode when returning. What to do?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: stopping spam email
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

A known problem some have.  I suggest you wait until you are migrated toAOL (should be soon) and readdress any Spam problems then.

0 Likes
Re: stopping spam email
james_marshall
Contributor - Level 1

I agree with tns2.  The Aol Spam filter is far superior to Verizon's. 

However, If you want to do something in the interim, try this.

It's only a workaround, not a real solution. One of the forum moderators suggested the core part of it, then I tweaked it a little.  It works on the principle that most spam is sent as a BCC, and is not addressed TO the sender.

Log into webmail and go to Settings>Email settings>filters>add new filters.  Set up a new rule that says "IF To: or CC:" does not contain <your email address>, then move messages to trash.  I created a folder that I called "filtered spam" and have the messages moved there instead of trash so I can go back in and make sure the filters aren't catching anything I really want.  

Because I use the "Always BCC myself" feature on my iPhone and iPad, I then added a second filter that says, "If From Contains <your email address>, then move messages to folder Inbox."  This allows the BCC's to myself to be delivered.

The glitch is if someone legitimately sends a BCC, I don't get it.  I have added several additional filters to allow some low tech newsletters that I get to be delivered.  Those rules read, "If From Contains <e-mail address of the sender> Then Move messages to Inbox." It is also possible to put a domain name in the filter in lieu of an e-mail address, if you want to be certain that all BCC's from that organization come through.  

This solution isn't perfect - some spam still gets through.  But, over the first week, it filtered out 450 spam e-mails and only allowed 7 spam e-mails through.  Over this same period the filters caught 2 valid e-mails.  

So, it's not perfect, but I find that it is still a lot better.  I hope this helps.

j_m

0 Likes