switch to aol mail
wsread
Enthusiast - Level 2

My AOL acount got set up OK.  I can access it from mail.aol.com.  How do I configure Windows Live Mail 2011 to access the AOL incomming server?  I get a 'wrong password' error. I set it up for IMAP with all the correct server names and port numbers.

I also failed to get THUNDERBIRD to access my AOL mail.

0 Likes
Re: switch to aol mail
monopolyZZZ

I know this is not answering your question, but can you tell me why you still use AOL?Man Surprised Is that just a convenience choice or is there some other advantage that i dont know of? 

I suggest gmail.com  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Because in the soon to be Frontier area, Verizon is moving customers to AOL mail servers.

For the OP:

Read this to see if it helps.

https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-use-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-aol-mail

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@wsread wrote:

My AOL acount got set up OK.  I can access it from mail.aol.com.  How do I configure Windows Live Mail 2011 to access the AOL incomming server?  I get a 'wrong password' error. I set it up for IMAP with all the correct server names and port numbers.

I also failed to get THUNDERBIRD to access my AOL mail.

I use Windows Live Mail. I didn't change a thing on either account I have migrated other than the password for one account, and that was because I had not logged into webmail for that account (ever I think) and I was required to changed the password in Verizon BEFORE I could take the link to AOL for the migration. So the server names, ports, SSL, etc. are all exactly as they were when using the Verizon servers.

Hope that will work for you.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
crazypaul

The link you provided is for AOL email addresses. Not for Verizon email addresses.

I have the same issue with receiving my Verizon email via Thunderbird and mobile  gmail. I always hate AOL. IMO, Verizon made a dumb move. Look like that I have to use my gmail address as my default from now on because of this stupid issue (no longer use verizon email address, even though I pay for it- I will try to call Verizon webcenter for credit).

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@crazypaul wrote:

The link you provided is for AOL email addresses. Not for Verizon email addresses.

I have the same issue with receiving my Verizon email via Thunderbird and mobile  gmail. I always hate AOL. IMO, Verizon made a dumb move. Look like that I have to use my gmail address as my default from now on because of this stupid issue (no longer use verizon email address, even though I pay for it- I will try to call Verizon webcenter for credit).

Smiley Very HappyCredit?  No way.  Its never was considered a pay for service.  And now that its AOL its definitely not.

What messages?  if necessary you can perform a trace with thunderbird.  To do so open a command prompt and execute the following commands

set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=POP3:4,SMTP:4

set NSPR_LOG_FILE="%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\tbird_log.txt"

start thunderbird

This will place a trace file (tbird_log.txt) on your desktop

0 Likes
crazypaul

https://help.aol.com/articles/verizon-move-to-aol-mail-faq?triage-category=supportoptions_aolmail_ar...

Can you see that the server settings are not supposed to change except a new password that you use to log in mail.aol.com?

"Do I need to update my settings if I am using an email application such as Outlook, Thunderbird or the mail app on my mobile device?

If you previously accessed your mail on the Verizon platform...
you do not need to change your settings. However, you will need to change your password when you register with AOL. Then you need to update your password in the settings of your email application."

I followed that instruction and Thunderbird failed to receive my Verzion email while it had no problem receiving my Hotmail.

0 Likes
wsread
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wanted to keep my email address

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@wsread wrote:

I wanted to keep my email address

After the migration my wife and I are successfully still using the email addresses we have had with Verizon FiOS for over 10 years. The information provided by both Verizon and AOL specifically says you can, and I did, and it works just fine. Why do you think the address needs to change?

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
wsread
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using Windows Live Mail (WLM).  WLM has to know the names of the servers it is contacting.  With Verizon mail the incoming mail server was pop.verizon.net, and the outgoing mail server was smtp.verizon.net.  With AOL, using IMAP, the respective sevrers are imap.aol.com, and smtp.aol.com.

Both these servers require a login - username and password.  After a little experimenting I found out how to do it.  I discovered that AOL assigned me a second name.  In addition to myname@verizon.net, they assigned a weird name like susrt9j@verizon.net.  To login to imap.aol.com the required login name is susrt9j@verizon.net, but the login name for the smtp.aol.com server is myname@verizon.net.  The same names are of course required if you want to set up Thunderbird.

To find your weird name (if you have one) go to mail.aol.com, and sign in.  Try sending an email.  Near the top you will see your name as "from" followed by a down arrow.  Click on the down arrow and your second name will appear.