Please read this in its entirety BEFORE attempting to resolve the issue.
This customer uses a Verizon email account that was tied into AOL’s Mail Servers after the merger. After correctly entering all of the correct information for the Verizon email address including the username (ex:[username]@verizon.net) as well as POP3 Incoming and Outgoing SMTP port and server settings, Outlook 365 Desktop (Office 2019 Outlook) still couldn’t connect.
TURNS OUT AOL’s password for her email access WAS NOT THE SAME.
The customer had her credentials which worked fine to sign into her email through a web browser on Outlook’s website. But those same credentials didn’t work with AOL’s online webmail client.
Now, this is where it all started to make sense to me, AOL didn’t throwback any error code that would let me know I had entered an email address that wasn’t registered on AOL.
What I was presented with was the next expected entry field box asking for the customer’s account password. I entered the password that worked to sign in on Outlook’s website but it wouldn’t work.
Well, what if the reason Outlook Desktop 2019 couldn’t connect with the POP3 mail address (pop.verizon.net, port 995) is because Outlook was expecting the AOL password?
After resetting the AOL password and trying THAT NEW PASSWORD with the manual mailbox configuration tool (Outlook 2019 Windows) with POP3 Incoming: pop.verizon.net port 995 with SSL Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net port 465 with SSL, Outlook managed to successfully add the account in seconds.
For my situation, I did not check off SAP Authentication for either the incoming or outgoing servers. I also had to create an entirely new profile in outlook instead of modifying the existing one; it might work for you but it didn’t for me. In the end, I pointed the freshly made Outlook profile to the old PST file during the manual configuration.
Voila, it works. I should get a job at Verizon where the title held goes something like Head of Making Sure Our Customers Can Still Use Our Email Services After A Merger, but I wouldn’t want to say that I work for Verizon until they flat-out publish this somewhere where ALL of their mail service users can easily find it.
Maybe they didn't know, I hope that now they do.
Hope this helps,
Just a Guy Working At A Locally Owned and Operated Phone & Computer Repair Shop.
use Gmail as a workaround. I have 5 active email addresses working through it. I only tried Out;ook because I thought it would work like Exchange. I have 2 out of 3 working in Outlook. Bummer!
I finally got outlook to work with verizon/aol. I used the one month free trial Aol tech support. The tech used imap settings I have not seen posted anywhere to set up the account in outlook Incoming: imap.aol.com Port 993
Outgoing: smtp.verizon.net Port 465
I have this same issue now, but ONLY for my wife's email. My account is fine, and still sends and receives from Outlook 10. Have checked all of her settings against mine, and they're exactlyt the same!!! 😐 I'm so tired of this crap!!!
I learned this by watching a Microsoft tech take hold of my machine and pull this password for Outlook. I then applied the same technique to my iPad and iPhone. AOL does have info on this here: https://help.aol.com/articles/Create-and-manage-app-password
It’s a two-step process.
- Log onto your AOL account and launch mail
- Click on Options/Account/Account Security/Manage APP Passwords
- Generate a password for the device you’re working on
- Copy that password
Go to the email client you’re having trouble with:
- Launch Outlook (or iPhone, or iPad)
- After failing to receive Verizon email, outlook will generate a Password box
- Copy the AOL password into the box (for receiving mail)
You then go back to AOL to get the authenticating passwords for each of your other devices and do the same operation.
Seems I must have inadvertently I turned on AOL’s two factor authentication thinking I’d just get a text to authenticate whenever someone logged on to my account. What I didn’t realize is that I had also made it impossible for me to log on to third party email clients without having a using an authenticating AOL Password. And even when I turned the authenticating feature from AOL to off (in my desperation to find a solution to not being able to receive emails in Outlook), AOL STILL required the authenticating password.
As this thread is now two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.