Re: Verizon yahoo outgoing email server down?
LCH2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there a server down?  I haven't been able to send an email from my @verizon.net account for two days.  This seems to happen every 6 months, but never has lasted this long.  Customer service was of no help except to waste my time for well over an hour.  I have changed the port from 25 to 587 and then back again.  587 didn't work.  Have tried on line chat who got someone to call me only to have them connect me with a Verizon recording asking for my phone number!!!! 

My outgoing server is outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net.  Come on Verizon, get it straight!!!  If there is a server down, then just post it!

0 Likes
NYArcher

Same here.  Hasn't worked for 3 days now.  I can get a successful port trace for outgoing.verizon.net on port 25 but not for outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net.  I've tried ports 25 & 587.  Tried a port trace on all open ports to outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net and found none!

HELLO VERIZON!!  WHAT"S THE PROBLEM??

0 Likes
Re: verizon yahoo outgoing email server down?
TigerG
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am unable to send e-mail from Outlook and Thunderbird on my Win7 machine. I also can't send from the Evolution e-mail app on my Ubuntu linux machine. I have spent hours with two Verizon techs. The first was completely useless and the second determined that the problem was with Microsoft Outlook??? At that point I set up Thunderbird and Evolution e-mail apps.Which eliminates Outlook as the problem.

And yes I am using port 587. As a test for a short time turned off the firewall in my router and the McAfee software firewall on the windows PC. This did not help.

I have followed the instructions on the Verizon web site and this was confirmed by the Verizon Tech who used remote access to view my settings in Outlook.

I am at a loss for how to troubleshoot this problem. The message I see in Outlook and Thunderbird is that the request to the SMTP server has timed out. I see the following message in the Thunderbird Error console.

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIMsgMailNewsUrl.server]"  nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)"  location: "JS frame :: file:///P:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mozilla%20Thunderbird/modules/activity/alertHook.js :: anonymous :: line 80"  data: no]
Source File: file:///P:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mozilla%20Thunderbird/modules/activity/alertHook.js
Line: 80

Any ideas?

0 Likes
stevennyc

cannot send via outgoing yahoo verizon net and get error that smtp cannot be found.  Had  this issue for 4 days now and spent countless hours on the phone with verizon techs who seem clueless.  Level one couldnt help and level 2 called and remoted to my pc and did same as level one.  We disabled security (Did PC cleanups as well. ) and ran through all steps and they blamed it on outlook.   But I showed him that outlook works by using another verizon account I have that sends via outgoing verizon net, so outlook isnt the problem.  So after realising that outlook wasnt the problem he looked for other things to blame it on.  Obviously he was pulling at straws.  After about 90 minutes on the phone he got frustrated and dropped the session and hung up.  No one ever called back.  Worst service possible and still cant send email.  Verizon, I hope you are watching this because I do want a credit and seriously considereing dropping you and going to TWC. 

0 Likes
spigmu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here.   On my home network other people can send outgoing email via all interfaces with their other POP accounts.   Count me in among those who have lost the ability to access yahoo.verizon's outgoing servers no matter WHAT fixes I use.   

However, I CAN send email from my set up (MacBookPro, OSX Mail) when I take it elsewhere I send via a NON verizon network.

It is clearly an issue with Verizon's network.  Don't waste your time trying fixes on your end.

It has been over a week.

0 Likes
spigmu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Want to add that changing to port 587 (previous set up was "Use default ports 25,465,587" which worked for years), had no effect.

Take the "Solved" off the thread   :   )   NOT solved.

0 Likes
anth1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finally got it working...

Verizon tech wasn't very usefully..... I mentioned to him that switching from port 25 to 587 may impact

the router firewall he said "NO"

I switched my firewall setting on the router from high to low and my outgoing email works now

LCH2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just changed mine from Medium to Low and now my outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net email can now send.

What do you think this means?  You would think that email would send with medium security---as it has been doing for me for years.

0 Likes
spigmu
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, changing your Firewall setting to low is a pretty bad solution!   :   )   Why should we have to use the lowest Firewall setting to allow access to port 587?  It makes sense that it works but makes no sense that it's the only way to alleviate the issue.   

My Macs are fine doing it but you'd have to be nuts to put anything less than the medium Firewall default on a Windows computer, unless you don't mind the downtime of constant virus removal.

I'm going to see if I need to port forward the router on 587.   Just changing it on the computer doesn't do the trick.

anth1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I kept my firewall on my PC set to the highest setting but only change the firewall setting on the router...  I guess the firmware of the router never kept up with Verizon 25 to 587 move