Are there phones too old to use on Verizon?
volsfan199

Had a friend that tried to activate a samsung a950. The bought it from someone and call to check and see if the esn was clear. The rep

told her yes. When they called later to actually activate it, she was told that the phone was too old to activate on verizon. Does this sound right?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Are there phones too old to use on Verizon?
akal

A phone needs to be emergency 911 complaint if not then it can not be activated so there is such a thing as too old.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The phone doesn't need to be activated to dial 911. If it doesn't dial 911 then the device is too old and exempt from the rule.. Anyway have you tried calling back or did you stick with one rep? Are you going from a basic phone to basic phone or smartphone to basic?

0 Likes
akal

Meant to say enhanced 911.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

All phones made and released prior to the law of enhanced 911 are exempt from the law.  Much like Airbags in cars prior to 1994.  Smiley Happy

Any phone after the law introduced will be capable of dialing 911 without even being activated(I don't know when the changes were put in place).

I have a feeling the rep didn't know what he/she was doing and didn't activate the device.  I have never heard of someone not being able to activate unless it's an Altell device(which Verizon will no longer activate).

0 Likes
budone
Legend

My understanding is they are exempt as long as they were active. Once shut down they could not be activated again.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

budone wrote:

My understanding is they are exempt as long as they were active. Once shut down they could not be activated again.

That's correct. If it is already activated you are free and clear, but if it isn't activated you can't activate it.

The OP has an 2005 flip phone for Verizon, but the rep can't activate it because it's "too old". I think that's what the rep thinks, but it may be because of the data plan on the smart phone and doesn't know how to remove it(She may be new to her job).  I would assume some devices are infact old to activate.  I don't expect my Nokia 5160 to be activated at this point, but that phone is like 20 years old lol.

0 Likes
Not applicable

volsfan199,

Good afternoon! The good news is the Samsung a950 is E911 compliant so if the ESN is free and clear, there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to activate it. When we make an attempt to activate the phone and its not capable for whatever reason, we usually see an error that lets us know what is wrong. You can also check the device online to see if its able to be activated, then do that online too!

Have a great day!

AdamE_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Heretic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi. Thanks for that link. Just found out my Moto W385 is still ok.

0 Likes