Intensity II screen broke
sarvbrez

My son has an Intensity II and the screen broke last night, for no apparent reason, on the inside.  No cracks on the outside, so this tells me no physical damage like dropping it, sitting on it, running it over, etc.  We were sitting at a local high school football field and he was texting with a friend - the phone was in and out of his pocket several times.  All of a sudden, he pulled it out to answer a text, and poof, screen broken.  This also tells me no water damage on the inside since it was working one minute, and the next, broke.  This is the second time this has happened. First time was 6 months ago on his original phone which was the Intensity.  Same thing, no damage, etc. - just pulled it out of his pocket one day and the screen was broke on the inside.  We upgraded to the Intensity II on March 8, 2013, not 6 months ago, and now it has done the very same thing.  Basically renders this phone useless as he is big on texting with his friends.  Went to the local Verizon store and the guy working there was as useless as the phone now is.  Basically told us there is nothing Verizon can do and that warranty doesn't matter - it wont cover physical damage.  I UNDERSTAND THAT - IF IT WERE PHYSICAL DAMAGE.  The guy couldn't even find the number for the insurance company - told me to contact customer service.  Thanks dude!!!  Point is, this is OBVIOUSLY a flaw with Samsung and the LCD screen, which customer service has already told me today that they cannot find anything from Samsung stating this very point.  So, looks like I am heading to a bigger Verizon store this evening with the phone and I hope that for their sake, it is replaced under warranty.  I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo not happy with Verizon and/or Samsung at this very moment.  Again, the phone isn't 6 months old and this obviously has happened to other as I read through other posts on this discussion board.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Intensity II screen broke
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Warranty doesn't cover cracked screens.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sarvbrez

Screen is not cracked, at least not from the outside.  No physical damage at all to the phone.  It from the inside of the LCD screen and it looks like a picture of a crack now.  Can't see text messages or incoming calls, etc.  It just "cracked" or "bled" on its own. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the frustration of purchasing a phone recently and now having issues sarvbrez, especially when the phone is for your son! I'm sorry he is without a phone at the moment but we will do all we can to help. The manufactures warranty is 1year from the date of original purchase. It covers manufacturing defects that are not caused by damage. Damage can include internal, external, or water. A broken screen is not a defect. All phone screens can be broken depending on that device and what type of glass its made of. I have an Htc Rhyme and I have an iPhone 4. Both totally different with different quality of screens and material. The screen being broken is physical damage and the store or customer service will not replace it under warranty but if you have phone insurance, you're in luck. You can replace the device for a small deductible. Here is the information for Asurion1- 888) 881-2622. Please let us know if you have any other questions. We want to ensure you stay a happy customer.

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
not2cr8iv

"It covers manufacturing defects that are not caused by damage."

Actually, the answers by Ann152 and Verizon Customer Support answer are so incomplete as to be wrong. 

The coverage exclusion in the actual Samsung Intensity II warranty, available on VZW's website, might exclude damage due to certain causes, but NOT all damage.  A phone whose screen cracks under the conditions you describe is defective under normal use.  If the damage resulted "...from from accident, misuse, abnormal use,abnormal conditions, improper storage, exposure to moisture or dampness, neglect, unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress....", then it would be excluded by the warranty.  I assume they can't prove that.  But the original question pretty plainly states that your phone became damaged during normal use due to a defect.

Think of it this way: if warranty did exclude all damage, as they'd like you to think, then any damage that results from normal use would be excluded.  Under VZW's interpretation, even a phone that caught fire while you were using it, due to an internal short, is physically damaged and therefor not covered by the warranty.

0 Likes